OmniOS vs Solaris 11.4 SMB default behaviour

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KpoTz

Apr 10, 2019
Hello,
I have been running Solaris 11.4 file server at home for some time now. It serves few SMB shares - very simple workgroup mode setup. I can connect to \\servername form any Windows machine and get share list. there is a public share where any unauthenticated user can read from and write to, and there are few shares that would trigger a password prompt and require authentication for further access. There is no prompt if current windows credentials match SMB credentials with ACLs to access a particular share. Fairly straightforward.
Now that OmniOS r151030 is out, I decided to to give is a try. I tried to replicated setup similar to Solaris as much as possible, and ran into few issues:
It appears that OmniOS treats SMB usernames as case-sensitive. Example, Solaris will match "User1" windows credentials to "user1" SMB credentials (similar to Windows behavior), where OnmiOS will not. You have to supply username in correct case sensitivity, otherwise it won't work. I found this filed under Bug #11026: Windows usernames should be treated as case insensitive - illumos gate - illumos , but was wondering if anyone came up with some kind of work around (idmap rule?) in meantime.
The other issue i ran into is that OmniOS requires authentication to connect to \\servername where Solaris did not. Public share required password as well, even though it is setup with guestok=yes and ACLs are wide open for read/write. On Solaris I would idmap Guest to nobody, but I guess OmniOS requires some other setup for public share.
There are number of new packages added in extra ips repo - mc, smartmontools, etc. mdns just works (I could never make it work on Solaris). Avahi is there to timemachine capable share. I really want to give OmniOS a chance, but documentation is very limited, and not all of the Solaris current documentation is reusable. I found that Solaris 11.1 documentation is more in line for some things but not the others.
Any tips from Solaris to OmniOS converts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Illumos (OmniOS) is a fork of OpenSolaris. Oracle published Solaris 11 shortly afterwards. This means that the manuals of Oracle Solaris 11 up to 11.2 are quite accurate, see Oracle Solaris manuals for 11.1 and 11.2, Oracle Solaris 11 Documentation

For Illumos, you can check the docs availabel at OmniOS.org and OpenIndiana (another Illumos distribution), see openindiana – Community-driven illumos Distribution

I have also added some manuals and links especially for OmniOS at napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Manual

Guest access on OmniOS requires:
- add a user guest (I have not tested if a mapping winuser guest to Unix nobody works as well)
- enable guest access: smbadm enable-user guest
The guest account password is ignored by SMB

Differences to Solaris
Beside different share management, OmniOS is SMB 2.1 while Solaris is 3.1 while SMB3 on Illumos is under way.

Have you tried my napp-it?
It supports managemen mainly of OmniOS but basically supports Solaris 11 and cares about differences.

KpoTz

Apr 10, 2019
Hello Gea,
Thank you for your reply and the link. You do have more info on OmniOS than the OmniOS site itself. On Solaris 11.4 "idmap add winname:Guest unixuser:nobody" takes care of the guest access to shares. I probably need to lower case Guest on that line for it to work on OmniOS, I would not want to create any extra user account if not needed. I tried napp-it install, but I felt like it needed to be updated for r151030 as it tried to copy and install mc and compile smartmontools, which I already had installed previuosly. OmniOS r151030 extra repo already has mc and smartmontools, that can be installed with pkg install. Anyway, I will try fresh install of OmniOS over the weekend again after reading through documentation links you provided. Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I want to provide a consistent set of tools or the newest smartmontools (6.6/7.0) on a wide range of OmniOS/ OpenIndiana or Oracle Solaris releases. This is why I add them to the napp-it installer as binaries or compile them myself.

If you have installed them already, they should be simply overwritten.