Office/Computer Desk chair recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Looking for a high quality, professional looking (no gamer chairs) office computer desk chair. Throw me some links!

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I have two Herman Miller Aeron - one in my home office, one in my office. They are expensive (~1k) but over a period of 4 years I bought about three "quality" chairs from Office Depot $300-$400 that wore out or didn't fit me well, or gave me all kinds of back/knee issues. It was wasted money, and if I'd had gotten a quality chair the first time I would only have needed one (or two, since I ended up getting a second one for the office).

I'm a fairly large person ... 6'1" 235 (although I was closer to 260 when I bought the chairs) so you could have a better time finding something that works without going to the expense of a Herman Miller kit.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I like stealcase leap, on my 2nd ready for my 3rd anytime :D
I get ~7 Years.

One I did the 'build it' from them, second I got from a retailer stash at discounted price.

If I did it again I'd build one and get it from them direct or authorized distributor that then orders direct.

$700-900 last I checked, maybe cheaper now.

For how often I am sitting it's not much $ over life, and for health.

My custom keyboard tray\slider\setup are ~$200 too for all the pieces.

Working without getting sore= priceless

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have two Herman Miller Aeron - one in my home office, one in my office. They are expensive (~1k) but over a period of 4 years I bought about three "quality" chairs from Office Depot $300-$400 that wore out or didn't fit me well, or gave me all kinds of back/knee issues. It was wasted money, and if I'd had gotten a quality chair the first time I would only have needed one (or two, since I ended up getting a second one for the office).

I'm a fairly large person ... 6'1" 235 (although I was closer to 260 when I bought the chairs) so you could have a better time finding something that works without going to the expense of a Herman Miller kit.
I'll second the suggestion of a Herman Miller Aeron chair. I've never found a better chair.

They are sized (A, B, C) so be sure to get the right size for you, and the lumbar support is a must in my opinion.

Here is a link (no affiliation) with many options, currently on sale (see the bottom of the page for many options):
https://seatingmind.com/herman-miller-aeron-chair-basic-size-b-or-c-black/
Great looking chair, thanks.

Of course they wouldn't have size A on that site :(. My desk opening is 26" and I need the chair to be pushed in when not used for space saving.

I've been looking at these (about $700 too):
https://ergohuman.com/ergohuman-high-back-chair-le9erg-w-headrest-and-leather/
https://ergohuman.com/ergohuman-chair-me7erg-high-back-with-headrest-and-mesh/

Most of them have lifetime warranty on the frame etc, less the upholstery/foam which is 5y (still awesome coverage for a chair).
They're based out of Austin where I am, so I'm gonna go try the different models out at their office once the quarantine is done.
Nice looking chairs indeed. Don't they'll work for me size wise though.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Fair enough, I'm in the sweet spot, tall but with a "reasonable" weight so.
6'1 & 190 lets me fit in all the 250lb class chairs.

There are some other options though not sure the classes for those they seem like a solid chair manuf.
Apparently I've had one of their Eurotech chairs for some time I got for free from my old work and didn't even know it.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm 6'0 185lbs. I was more referring to size wise for fitting under my desk (26" width opening).

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
The Aeron from Herman Miller has arms that adjust for height and width, so your desk opening should not be a problem.
Or do you seek a chair without arms?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The Aeron from Herman Miller has arms that adjust for height and width, so your desk opening should not be a problem.
Or do you seek a chair without arms?
How does one adjust the width? I see here that you can tilt the arm rests in but that doesn't actually reduce the overall width.

Adjusting Aeron

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
Great looking chair, thanks.

Of course they wouldn't have size A on that site :(. My desk opening is 26" and I need the chair to be pushed in when not used for space saving.

Nice looking chairs indeed. Don't they'll work for me size wise though.
How does one adjust the width? I see here that you can tilt the arm rests in but that doesn't actually reduce the overall width.

Adjusting Aeron
https://seatingmind.com/content/adj guide/aeron_chairs_user_adjustment_guide-1.pdf

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
With my chair I can adjust the height of arms, the widght (slide side to side) and the angle.
It's a very big reason I have it :)
That plus all the other adjustments!

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Another vote for Aeron. I got Size B first. Then few years later I picked up another Size C. I like C much better for my 6'3" 250lbs frame.

There are 2 generations of the chair - "Classic" (before 2016) and "Remastered" (since 2016). You can find refurbished (new seat pan/backrest/arm rests) Classics for under $500 shipped.

Reactions: itronin
Status
Not open for further replies.