Office/Computer Desk chair recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Herman Miller is pretty much the golden standard. I have an Aeron in the office and Mirra 2 at home. Be sure to find out what options they have if you buy a used one. There is quite the difference between base and a fully optioned model. You'll also probably want a size B given your height/weight.

Reactions: Rock

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Check Craigslist? At least locally for me, there are tons available from office liquidators and private parties for $300-350.

The headrest is not a factory option by the way, so you'll probably need to get that separately.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Thank you all for chiming in. Clearly the Aeron is the top pic. However, I don't think I can swing $600+ on a chair right now and it appears even the used ones with the options I'm looking for (lumbar support, headrest, etc) cost that much.

Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about this chair? This is more the top end of my budget right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797HZ8W1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3397HC0414SUT&psc=1
Fakespoke reviews aren't best of quality as far as authenticity goes:
Fakespot | Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair With Lumbar Support And Rollerblade Wheels Fake Review and Counterfeit Analysis

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Using a Herman Miller Mirra (non-2) here at home and love it.
Afaik it's the basic model, no extra's.

I bought it through a company that buy inventory from companies.
In my case it looks like the chair I received was almost new, at least I think it is.

I cost me 300 Euro instead of the beginning price of 1K or so.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I use a Capsico chair. By far the most comfortable chair and it helps to correct posture as well.

Capisco Chair by HÅG

I use an Eames Lounge Chair (reproduction) when I want to lounge and browse. Great for reading or just surfing with a mobile device.

I use a Gravity Balans Chair when I want to lounge and work on my laptop. I also use it in the media room when I use the 4k TV as a second monitor.

Gravity balans | Relax into complete weightlessness | Exudes wellness and relaxation for the home or lounge area | Varier

maes

Nov 11, 2018
The Aerons are awesome but pretty painfully expensive. A decent alternative is the Ikea MARKUS chair. I've had mine for a few years and it's an absolute delight. I spend far too much time in it.

I'm 6' 200lb for reference.

Reactions: edge

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I’m 5’9” and under 190lb, at work I have a moderately priced - I think $100-$200 Staples chair (mesh back with a fabric seat) at home I have a similarly priced Office Depot chair (mesh with what I assume is a pleather seat) that I got on sale. Both are fine for my 8 hour day use.

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
I'm trying out a chair from Husky Office which claims to make big & tall chairs that are actually built well. Most other chairs I've run into in the past seem to fail, despite their claimed "weight limits" and so forth. Hoping this chair ends up differently. It does feel like it's built better (base is metal, not plastic, etc)

I went with mesh because, even for more supposedly "trustworthy" brands, I never trust any "fake leathers" to last a long time. They always peel and always end up horrible.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I wound up going with this chair and I love it.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
That looks promising interested to see its longevity over several years.

Edit: I like the amount of seat and back adjust-ability to that too, the headrest looks kinda flimsy though any thoughts on that?
Also how is the low back rest tension is that able to be reduced so it doesn't feel like its there?
(I can't stand lower back pillows or supports, I have a fused lower 5 vertebrae)

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
That looks promising interested to see its longevity over several years.

Edit: I like the amount of seat and back adjust-ability to that too, the headrest looks kinda flimsy though any thoughts on that?
Also how is the low back rest tension is that able to be reduced so it doesn't feel like its there?
(I can't stand lower back pillows or supports, I have a fused lower 5 vertebrae)
The headrest seems fine to me, it does not seem flimsy. The lower back rest tension can not be adjusted but it can be moved up and down. It's not at all intrusive.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Keep me updated if you don't mind how you feel after a few weeks/month etc.
I saw some reviews that noted on potential quality with the seat, they closed their austin office otherwise i'd run down and check out the chair in person.

What is the lumbar support tension lever do then?

TacticalCoder

Aug 22, 2020
weird for my 1st post to post about a chair but I know a bit about the Aeron...

I don't like armrests so I simply ordered my Aeron without the armrests: it was cheaper too. If you buy a used one that comes with armrests, you can easily remove them (the Aeron is mostly easy to work on and there are many tutorials on YouTube). And yes it's nice to be able to push the chair under the desk when you're not there.

I bought mine 10 years ago and it came with a 12 years warranty: zero issue during these 10 years and I'm now concerned in two years it may start to fail. But then I'd probably simply buy spare parts and fix it myself or simply buy a new one.

The main issue with that chair is when it's now correctly configured: if you're not comfortably installed in that chair you definitely need to follow either the manual or a tutorial which explains how to configure it. Once configured, in my experience, not a single setting shall ever change (10 years I haven't modified a single setting on mine: the thing is just perfect).

There are other good chairs but to me the "pellicle mesh" on the Areon on which you sit (and for your back) is just too good to ever use anything else.

EDIT: "classic" Aeron B size from 2010 here (73 kilos / 160 pounds and 1m78 / 5 foot 10)

briancheung

Nov 12, 2020
Personally, I use the Embody, but I've heard good things about the steelcase leap. Don't really an Aeron fan.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
I'm in the Aeron camp. Bought my first one in the early 2000's after the dot-com bubble bust. There were tons of them still in plastic wrap from all the tech shutdowns. Still have it, a size C. Bought a second used one for my work office.

Do a little homework on the chair and features and options especially if you buy used. There are lots of variations of features and even meeting room versions with no adjustments other than height. The best ones have adjustable forward tilt and lock and there are few variations of the lumbar support over the years. There are even hard floor and carpet casters.

Reactions: Rock

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
Just an update on the chair I got from Husky Office. After about 9-10 months of constant daily use the gas lift failed (although I am under the rated limit, it may not have been rated for as many hours as I put into it), though kudos to them for honoring the warranty and having easy/good customer service who quickly got a replacement gas lift sent out to me.

Not sure what I'll do in another 9-10 months when it likely fails again. Maybe just get a new chair again with an even higher weight limit, or maybe one marked/rated specifically for "24/7 use"

Status
Not open for further replies.