NVME U.2/3 Drive recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Probably the Solidigm (D7-P5520) or Micron (7500 Pro). I don't know whats with WD & Seagate.
Sadly Kioxia and Samsung are not on this list...
If you take the 12,8tb versions you get easy 2-3x the write endurance and 1,5-2x write IOPS, if you need that, or a simple overprovisioning (~20-28%) via smaller namespace config will do it too in most cases.

Reactions: TomSwift

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
FW support alone elimnates most manufacturers. Only solidigm/intel and micron offer firmware updates, maybe seagate if you have a non oem serial number...

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Is it not possible to download firmware from these big OEM like Dell/HPE/Lenovo?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
HPE had some "service pack" isos that contained firmware for different devices, not sure if for storage devices though...
Dell & HP(E) san storage device firmwares are behind paywalls/support contracts ._.

TomSwift

May 14, 2020
I have one of these a d it just works and runs cool. FW is overrated if the device works well. I went through two micron drives before it that both lasted less than a week.
Lol buy my two Kioxia 7.68tb drives for sale then

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
I have one of these a d it just works and runs cool. FW is overrated if the device works well. I went through two micron drives before it that both lasted less than a week.
Where they from the Micron 7400'er Series?
And i don't think Firmware is overrated when i see whats in the changelogs from the Samsung eSSD's... The pm9a3 is now matured enough and the firmware is unofficially obtainable.
The Kioxia FL6 Series look interesting, and the overall hardware-design from Kioxia looks really clean (and the cooling design), but no chance without FW updates.

OT: The P5800X works quite well, but limited capacity and a sad end (R.I.P. 3DXpoint).
I never saw an sm963 u.2 (MZQKW1T9HMJP), 12,6PB TBW... and an sm983 was never produced.

Reactions: Joel

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Micron 7400
IIRC yeah, one lasted almost a week and the other less than 4 hours. Didn't get a chance to do much of a post mortem due to return windows but they both lost their partitions tables and couldn't be restored. I upgraded the firmware on the second one since I had time on my hands while waiting on the replacement from a different seller to do some research and hoped it would prevent the issue.

Kioxia are upgradable but, I can't find an image and think they might push one out through Linux fwupg possibly. But, I'm not tempting fate as it's working great as is.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
IIRC yeah, one lasted almost a week and the other less than 4 hours. Didn't get a chance to do much of a post mortem due to return windows but they both lost their partitions tables and couldn't be restored. I upgraded the firmware on the second one since I had time on my hands while waiting on the replacement from a different seller to do some research and hoped it would prevent the issue.

Kioxia are upgradable but, I can't find an image and think they might push one out through Linux fwupg possibly. But, I'm not tempting fate as it's working great as is.
there i saw it: Ahrefs SSD failure statistics and it's the Micron 7450 mentioned here, on the other hand the 9300 did it well.
It can/will hit every manufacturer at some point, i remember the IBM "Deathstar" a long time ago...

I still hope that i find the hxm7a04q firmware for the samsung sm883 and gxm1103q for sm863a someday

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Went back and looked at the invoices and that's what I tried first. I have a rule though if it fails 2 times then it's not getting a 3rd attempt. I even swapped the carrier card with the 2nd attempt. I finally switched to a M2+cable instead of card for the 3rd / Kioxia just to rule out the PCB/slot being an issue.

Now, on the other hand someone I was talking to on another forum ordered a couple of 7450's and the only issue he had with them is having to mount fans to the HS on each one to keep them moderately cool. I didn't get a chance to really probe the Micron's or think to look at the temps closely since all of my gear generally runs cool anyway. Maybe there was a temp spike but, the error cropped up as an I/O error and upon reboot the drive just disappeared but was still showing up in command outputs just not able to execute fdisk on it or anything else. It reminded me of failing HDD/USB drives in the past. At least with those failures they were logically seen and recoverable data wise.

nexox

May 3, 2023
For whatever it's worth, I have a Micron 7400 Pro in E1.S form factor, I had to remove one side of the housing to fit it to my adapter, and when I did I found that all the blobs of thermally conductive silicone on the controller side were misplaced - the controller itself barely contacted the thermal goop just along one edge and most of the other chips on that side of the SSD had maybe 20% of their surface covered. If they had similar issues with the U.2/3 drives I could see some issues cropping up.

It also doesn't accept any of the firmware available from Micron, so not every one of their drives gets that support.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
@nexox now that's interesting. I popped open one of my older SSDs and found it to not have any goop and looked like a couple of M2's sitting inside the casing but just on a single board. I didn't want to mess with the micron's though if it gave them a reason not to issue a refund at $1k/ea. I figured the finned exterior would be good for dissipation but obviously not the case. The Kioxia is more like a traditional 2.5" drive and probably would fit into a laptop if it had the right connector.

TomSwift

May 14, 2020
Any good deals (new or slightly used) around Solidigm/Intel or Micron currently (with firmware available)? Looking for a pair I can mirror for running VMs on.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
there i saw it: Ahrefs SSD failure statistics and it's the Micron 7450 mentioned here, on the other hand the 9300 did it well.
It can/will hit every manufacturer at some point, i remember the IBM "Deathstar" a long time ago...

I still hope that i find the hxm7a04q firmware for the samsung sm883 and gxm1103q for sm863a someday
At the end of that article:
About 60% of analyzed Micron 7450 drives failed due to the above load pattern-firmware issue. Thus, all other failure reasons constituted a 40% share. So, if this issue had not appeared, the drives would have about 0.38% AFR over 19 months in production. Such a failure rate would be unremarkable and in line with the AFR of other vendors’ data center-grade SSDs. Once we switched to the new firmware, we saw just a single Micron 7450 failure in the following two months compared to about a drive per week before. We expect to see a more positive trend on the statistics graph for this model in the future.