Nuc vs. Tupperware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Crucial CT8G3S160BM. I'm only half sure its a memory problem though. What I'm reading indicates its 50/50 whether the ram will work, depending on the trailing digits of the model number on the dimm itself - in my case .16FED.

Having said that, the unit only lights up the light near the SD card slot, and behaves the same when I try to boot it, memory installed or not. Fan spins up, but not much else. I'm thinking DOA. Any ideas?
The Intel agent I spoke to was willing to RMA the unit based on what I told him. However, when he tried to process it, the revision number wasn't in the system and told me it was too new for him to process yet. Guess I'll see if Newegg will exchange it for me.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Welp, I was hoping to be able to post some linux bench results, but I'm on my second dead NUC. This one's going back for a refund. :(

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Welp, I was hoping to be able to post some linux bench results, but I'm on my second dead NUC. This one's going back for a refund. :(
Doh, that's no fun.

I still have 2 used NUC's I got I need to test!! Thanks for reminding me :)

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Where are you buying them from? Are you sure it isnt the memory?
Newegg. This one has the same manufacture date and batch number as the first. I'm using memory from Intel's compatibility list, so unless the stick shorted the unit somehow, I don't think that's the issue. Just like the first time, im getting fan spin up, but no power light on the unit - memory installed or not. I'm gonna grab a multimeter from work and check the psu and see what kind of numbers it's putting out.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Looks like I jumped the gun. The ram in question works in my laptop, and my laptop's ram works in the NUC. I guess it just doesn't like this stick for some reason. Edit: Also, it seems odd to me that the unit's power LED doesn't light without ram installed. Intel told me otherwise.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Speeds are the same, and the stick that won't work is on Intel's known good list. Linux bench results are in the Linux bench section here.

Marty007

Feb 28, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if this is relevant anymore, being September and all...

I have built over 20 of the DN2820FYKH Nuc's over the past year, and came to the conclusion that they are pretty finicky when it comes to memory. Started using the low voltage 1.35V Mac memory from Corsair and even then had a couple that just wouldn't post/boot.

I was fortunate enough to have one for testing purposes, so it made my troubleshooting a little easier... The speed was not much of an issue for me, it would clock down if I went with the 1600, based on availability.

ShepsCrook

Dec 1, 2015
What I don't get is that the Intel NUC with the N3700 has a Realtek network adapter... On an intel product. Why not just use their own Intel Gigabit adapter which is far superior anyway... Ahh well...

The HP definitely looks like tupperware, that's why I do prefer the Intel, Brix, or other simple models.