Nuc vs. Tupperware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

Been doing a nice little review on the nuc but was waiting to publish till I got the HP stream mini.
It makes for an interesting comparison with various tradeoffs.
What do you want to know?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
of all things i'd love to see how the stream mini handles minecraft, we've got some compute sticks for digital signage and it was a popular question I'm thinking the stream mini might be a tad more playable.

on a more serious note which NUC do you have so I can gauge my questions to be more appropriate to the comparison

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
of all things i'd love to see how the stream mini handles minecraft, we've got some compute sticks for digital signage and it was a popular question I'm thinking the stream mini might be a tad more playable.

on a more serious note which NUC do you have so I can gauge my questions to be more appropriate to the comparison

The new 14nm braswell NUC5CPYH It uses a "Celeron" N3050 $128 but lacking ram and ssd.
And the HP stream has a Haswell based Celeron 2957U $180 but with SSD, ram, OS, keyboard and mouse.

Reactions: Patrick

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Their memory configurations should be interesting, the 2975 has a L3 cache but the 3050 has twice as much L2. the same stands for their gpu's the 3050 has newer execution units but the 2975 has a 1ghz clock compared to 600mhz. the 3050 has a huge advantage cpu wise though it's on a newer arcitecture with up to a 767mhz higher clock, I'd be suprised if the 2975 doesn't do better gpu wise but fail cpu wise.

The two should make for fun head to head, I'd love to see if either can handle 4k video and if the intel networking makes any difference in the nuc compared to whatever hp used(I'd be suprised if it wasn't realtek)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@Deslok
Running linux bench on the Stream as we speak, started with the windows benches since it came running win8 with bing.
As far as Cinebench R15 is concerned, the nuc got its ass handed to it, but it tends to be a more memory favoring bench.
Looking forward to the Linux bench results.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking forward to this!

Love me some low power NUCs :)

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
I'd be interested in seeing power measurements for that model of NUC (and the 4-core NUC5PPYH) under load.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I'd be interested in seeing power measurements for that model of NUC (and the 4-core NUC5PPYH) under load.
Can't find the 4c version anywhere... took me almost a month to get the 2c in, though now it seems they are more available. I have been gathering power data with a killawatt but they will be served with a grain of salt as they are not as accurate under 60w as one would like.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Can't find the 4c version anywhere... took me almost a month to get the 2c in, though now it seems they are more available. I have been gathering power data with a killawatt but they will be served with a grain of salt as they are not as accurate under 60w as one would like.
I didn't realize the accuracy dropped at lower wattages. Good to know. I have the 4 core version on the way from Newegg (via eBay). Should be here early next week, but I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to fire it up.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I didn't realize the accuracy dropped at lower wattages. Good to know. I have the 4 core version on the way from Newegg (via eBay). Should be here early next week, but I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to fire it up.
link?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
@Deslok
Running linux bench on the Stream as we speak, started with the windows benches since it came running win8 with bing.
As far as Cinebench R15 is concerned, the nuc got its ass handed to it, but it tends to be a more memory favoring bench.
Looking forward to the Linux bench results.
The memory is suprising the nuc should have a newer memoy controller and supports the same ddr3l 1600mhz memory the mini ships with, although the mini does support dual channel memory if you add it.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The memory is suprising the nuc should have a newer memoy controller and supports the same ddr3l 1600mhz memory the mini ships with, although the mini does support dual channel memory if you add it.
N series is atom based U series is lower wattage full laptop chip.
Dual channel does help, but not as much in other benchmarks.
Many show no improvement going from 2gb to 8gb to 10gb (dual channel).
For kicks I have lower latency dimms coming in as well as a better power meter.

Reactions: cthulolz

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
ahh that's my fault I was thinking it was a bay-trail based celeron
The nuc is, the 2957U is haswell based.
And despite the tdp difference both systems use practically the same amount of power.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Cool, when it gets in... you can run linuxbench :p
My unit and memory/ssd came in early. Unfortunately, even though I am using memory off of the tested memory list, the unit won't boot. Probably wont have results this weekend. :(

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
My unit and memory/ssd came in early. Unfortunately, even though I am using memory off of the tested memory list, the unit won't boot. Probably wont have results this weekend. :(
What memory do you have?
My cas 9 dimms came in as well as the newer power meter. :)

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
What memory do you have?
My cas 9 dimms came in as well as the newer power meter. :)
Crucial CT8G3S160BM. I'm only half sure its a memory problem though. What I'm reading indicates its 50/50 whether the ram will work, depending on the trailing digits of the model number on the dimm itself - in my case .16FED.

Having said that, the unit only lights up the light near the SD card slot, and behaves the same when I try to boot it, memory installed or not. Fan spins up, but not much else. I'm thinking DOA. Any ideas?