Nitro's - Condo=Home Data Center Replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
No you would probably need to find a Thin-ITX board for 1u.

FYI - I cant get the board to boot, so I may be looking for a new alternative

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Probably would be perfect, except that I've never been able to actually source anything from Habey Qty 1 at reasonable prices. Based on past experience I'd expect Qty 1 price for that board to exceed $500 - and nobody seems to be dealing them buy large qtys for resale. Habey mostly sells to people doing jobs like putting up 500 gate-side info displays at DFW...

Also - interesting that they call it "thin mini-ITX" when the so blatantly violate the thin-mini ITX spec with that heatsink :)

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Yea its going to be full UTM - The home version is the same as their enterprise version, but is limited to 50 devices. So i should be ok.
Right now i have about 15.
What do they charge for the home version? Edit: NVM I just saw the download link to the Home Version.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore

Not so.

I fitted a S1200BTL in a Supermicro 1U chassis. The S1200BTL also has the 2xUSB + 1xLan stack on its external ports so the Jetway should be ok. The problem is finding a rear ATX shield that matches the ports and is sized for a 1U. I ended up building one with a Dremel and the cases 1U rear ATX shield and the boards standard ATX rear shield. Turned out reasonably well.

Measure up to make sure but I believe it will probably fit a 1U chassis.

RB

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Added finished pics and updated the task list.

Now on to installing Xen Desktop & Netscaler for some Win8/iPad action!!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wow that is super cool! Very much like the "rack" it now fits onto.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Storage
This is something that has really been bothering me. I really wanted to go all DIY, but there are simply no good Chassis Options for ITX based NAS. Other than the NSC-800, which comes with its own set of issues. Additionally, there are no ITX mobos with 8x SATA on board. So I have chosen to go with the Synology DS1812+. I will be adding 4x 4TB Seagate drives for now and some Samsung 840 SSDs in the near future for my VMs. I also will be adding a 2GB SO-DIMM to max the ram out to 3GB.
(I added the emphasis.)

I'm thinking about doing a similar physical downsizing project, and this thread is of great interest to me. My two biggest space hogs are my NAS and backup server. I'm thinking about replacing with two U-NAS NSC-800 based systems. So I'm currently researching every nugget of info on these chassis that I can. Just curious what set of issues you're referring to?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That's a brain bender. Remembering a reference from just shy of 8 mo ago. ;) G/L nitrobass24

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
LOL - well the issues were mainly related to

1. Availability of the case
  2. ITX Mobo w/ 8 SATA Ports (only 1 I know of and it was just release last month!) - C2750D4I
  3. All said an done will cost more than a Synology 1812+

Sure its more expensive, but you can add a lot more RAM and even ZFS if you wanted. Plus you have the capability to Add SAS or 10GBe all in a form factor that no-one else can match.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
LOL - well the issue

1. Availability of the case
  2. ITX Mobo w/ 8 SATA Ports (only 1 I know of and it was just release last month!) - C2750D4I
  3. All said an done will cost more than a Synology 1812+

Sure its more expensive, but you can add a lot more RAM and even ZFS if you wanted. Plus you have the capability to Add SAS or 10GBe all in a form factor that no-one else can match.
OK, no "new" issues. As I'm seriously considering this case, I'm looking for any "gotchas" that haven't already been mentioned. What you said is inline with what's been mentioned before.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm impressed with your memory!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Will see if I can get one in early November. Which Seasonic 300w PSU BTW?

jespernohr

Mar 17, 2015

Did you get the Jetway + daughterboard to boot/ work with Sophos?
also have you succesfully upgraded to the newest version of Sophos UTM? 9.309
Last, would recommend this board at this given time for a setup similar to yours?

Kind regards
jesper

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Turned out to be a bad board and i just got a replacement. Been working fine since i started this two years ago. I am running a relatively up to date version of sophos, but i have not upgraded in a month or so.

jespernohr

Mar 17, 2015
Turned out to be a bad board and i just got a replacement. Been working fine since i started this two years ago. I am running a relatively up to date version of sophos, but i have not upgraded in a month or so.
Good news. I will go ahead an puchase one myself. thank you the swift reply!