Newbie ESXi confusion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Perhaps it's because this isn't my area of profession - I'm finding myself a bit confused on how to fully implement esxi. I have 5.5u3b - the dell image - installed on my C2100. I'm lost as to next steps. I believe I should be installing the C++ vcenter client on my pc to manage the server. How do I obtain this? Vmware's site isn't pointing me in any sensible direction. Can't download it even after registering. There's a few warnings about using u3b from various sources saying I can't control the host.,but is this an update prob or even on a fresh install? I believe u3 solves the hardware version 10 issue, correct? There also sounds like there might be a new experimental Web client tool but I believe I need the c++ client to be able to use / install, correct?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
If you are using the free version of ESXi, you are correct that you can use the vsphere client.
You can download it from the following page (remember to login first): Login - My VMware

While the version is newer, it will most likely work with 5.5 as well.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
If you enter the IP address of the esxi host in your browser, I believe there is a link to the client download there as well

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Sorry, there was a link and following it only brought about a browser error.