Newbie Build, need input

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Leprechaun

Sep 6, 2016
Hi I'm new to the forums. I've been building home servers for a long time but usually repurposed home PCs using Windows NT/2000 or FreeNAS. I'm excited to get into more enterprise-class hardware and software. I just wanted to make sure my plans for my build are on the right track.

Chassis - SUPERMICRO 846E1-R900B
Motherboard - Supermicro Gaming(Server) Motherboard X9DR3-LN4F+ I/O LGA2011 Dual Socket DDR3 SATA3
CPU 2x -SR0KX Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 8 Core Socket 2011 CPU
RAM - ???
96GB (6X16GB) PC3-10600R DDR3 Server Memory RAM Upgrade Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+
128GB (16X8GB) PC3-10600R DDR3 Server Memory RAM Upgrade Supermicro X9DRi-F
Cooler - something off the shelf, I'll take any advice.
SAS - A Couple of M1015. I've got one running in IT mode on my FreeNAS, so I know how to flash it.
I'll be ditching the backplane on the chassis, since it's SAS1.
HD - Eveything I've got lying around for a ZFS test build for now.

I found these listed on ebay.
I'm 99% sure the MB will fit the Chassis
Will either set of RAM bit my system? The RAM is what I'm least sure about.
I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Leprechaun welcome to the STH forums.

If you can, what you want is DDR3 RDIMMs (registered or reg). I prefer 16GB if I can get them since it allows for subsequent expansion. You want the number of DIMMs to be divisible by the number of E5 processors * 4.

So since E5-2670 V1 * 4 = 1 * 4 therefore you would want 4 DIMMs, 8 DIMMs or potentially 12 DIMMs in some corner cases.
Likewise with 2x E5-2670 V1 *4 = 2 * 4 and therefore you want 8 DIMMs, 16 DIMMs or potentially 24 DIMMs.

If you can use 4, 8 or 16 DIMMs that is better than 12 or 24 DIMMs since memory speeds will take a big hit and you have to be much more careful on memory selection. Many motherboards only offer 4 DIMMs per CPU or 8 DIMMs per CPU but that one you noted has 12 DIMMs per CPU. My advice, with dual E-2670's use 8 DIMMs. That will allow you to easily expand to 16 DIMMs later if you wanted to double memory capacity.

If you can get 8x 16GB = 128GB that would be a great combination.

On the chassis, you are right to be concerned. That motherboard has additional overhang to the left of the I/O ports so it will not fit many cases. I think that chassis has enough room but I do not know about the mounting holes in that specific chassis and sometimes the SC846's had different/ customized layouts for some OEM partners. It is/was extremely popular. Buying through ebay the models are sometimes close but not always correct. I might personally take the chance given my experience. If you do not want to take the chance, see if you can buy a pre-built barebones so you can ensure physical compatibility.

The chassis also has a SAS expander backplane. It seems like you are aware of the implications.

Reactions: Leprechaun

Leprechaun

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks. There is another lot that 8x16GB, but it's double the price. $284 vs $625. I agree expansion is always a nice option. I feel like 128GB is A LOT, so I'm not sure if the extra $$ can be justified for something I may never expand, short of a new build down the road ;)

Leprechaun

Sep 6, 2016
@Leprechaun welcome to the STH forums.

If you can, what you want is DDR3 RDIMMs (registered or reg). I prefer 16GB if I can get them since it allows for subsequent expansion. You want the number of DIMMs to be divisible by the number of E5 processors * 4.

So since E5-2670 V1 * 4 = 1 * 4 therefore you would want 4 DIMMs, 8 DIMMs or potentially 12 DIMMs in some corner cases.
Likewise with 2x E5-2670 V1 *4 = 2 * 4 and therefore you want 8 DIMMs, 16 DIMMs or potentially 24 DIMMs.

If you can use 4, 8 or 16 DIMMs that is better than 12 or 24 DIMMs since memory speeds will take a big hit and you have to be much more careful on memory selection. Many motherboards only offer 4 DIMMs per CPU or 8 DIMMs per CPU but that one you noted has 12 DIMMs per CPU. My advice, with dual E-2670's use 8 DIMMs. That will allow you to easily expand to 16 DIMMs later if you wanted to double memory capacity.

If you can get 8x 16GB = 128GB that would be a great combination.
I don't quite understand why the preferred # of DIMMS is 2 CPUs x 4? Is this some convention with E5-2XXX? Is this a similar concept to dual or triple channel RAM? If I buy 16x8GB (or the 8x16GB) do I need to be careful when I add more RAM to agree with the current set of RAM or as long as the added sticks are a compatible set?
Does anyone have a link explaining how to select RAM for a server?
Thanks

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I don't quite understand why the preferred # of DIMMS is 2 CPUs x 4? Is this some convention with E5-2XXX? Is this a similar concept to dual or triple channel RAM?
The concept is exactly the same, the E5-2600 series CPU's have four memory channels. Fujitsu have published a number of white papers for their line of servers, here's a link to one regarding memory performance of Xeon E5-2600/4600 based systems.

Reactions: Jon Massey

Leprechaun

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks!
I just realized, I want to bypass the backplane in the server chassis and connect my M1015 straight to my drives using a SAS breakout cable. Is this possible in this type of chasis or am I stuck with the backplane? I don't know anything about physical layout of a server, which is part of the reason I'm so interested in doing this. Not just the computing/software but the hardware too.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Thanks!
I just realized, I want to bypass the backplane in the server chassis and connect my M1015 straight to my drives using a SAS breakout cable. Is this possible in this type of chasis or am I stuck with the backplane? I don't know anything about physical layout of a server, which is part of the reason I'm so interested in doing this. Not just the computing/software but the hardware too.
If you buy a case with an expander backplane you'd need to swap out the backplane for direct connections (no expander) to the drives. I've gone that road but now I'll just sell old cases and buy ones with the backplane I want. I'm done with bleeding hands to save $5.