New Workstation Build - Need advice Plz

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DilbertFaniA

Jan 12, 2016
Davenport IA
Hi there,

I'm looking to replace an outdated 2.8ghz Dual Xeon Workstation. It's atleast 10 years old - used to be screaming fast way, way back but not so much now! I've been trying to brush up on Xeon CPU's, speeds and motherboards, etc but there are a ton of different options now and I can't seem to make sense out everything.

I'd like to be able to use it for VMware to have several VM's on it so know I'll probably need 16-32gb of ram. I have absolutely no idea what I'll need for mobo/cpu though.

I don't do any gaming although I am quite the power user. I'll have several apps open at once, working with video files, always seems like I'm copying files here to wherever, etc. Right now the PC i'm using won't even catalog my entire family picture collection and it just freezes.

Oh yeah and here's the catch - I'm a student so I'm looking for something inexpensive. Thanks in advance! :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I would imagine there are plenty of parts that era sitting around in peoples workbenches... might just make a wtb thread and see what pops up.