New switch how do I benchmark it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MannyLNJ

Mar 19, 2023
My home network right now is all 1GB

I am running OpnSense on a Hamsing Jasper Lake based Celeron N5105 Micro Appliance Amazon item B0BB3B2Q58.

This goes into a Netgear 4 port managed 1GB switch which connects back to my main Cisco 2960-G switch which has all my other network products attached.

I just received from Amazon my purchase of an 8 port 2.5GB managed desktop switch.

Before replacing the 4 port Netgear switch with the new switch and running both my OpnSense router and main PC into the new switch how should I benchmark the network to determine how much improvement I have

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Do you have system/s with 2.5Gig ports?

To fully test/benchmark switch you need 8 devices/ports with 2.5Gig to test it, and cables that go with quality potentially cat6/7 cables to ensure nothing on cables to blame.

Then you can test with iperf3
2 - 4 - 6 -8 ports active at same time

MannyLNJ

Mar 19, 2023
Test with iperf3.
I can't get iperf3 to work on the OpnSense box

I have the plugin installed. When I go to Interfaces - > Diagnotics -> Iperf and click create instance for the LAN it does not show any port information to provide for he client on the other PC

MannyLNJ

Mar 19, 2023
Do you have system/s with 2.5Gig ports?

To fully test/benchmark switch you need 8 devices/ports with 2.5Gig to test it, and cables that go with quality potentially cat6/7 cables to ensure nothing on cables to blame.

Then you can test with iperf3
2 - 4 - 6 -8 ports active at same time
I only have one other system that supports 2.5 G besides the OpnSense system. So I know I need to replace the Netgear with the new switch and then connect my PC that supports 2.5G to the new switch instead of going into the Cisco

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
without one (with all 8 ports) or multiple systems with 2.5Gig ports - you can't really benchmark the switch.
Keep a note, you shouldn't run test from your pf box, but client boxes transferring in-between themselves over switch. (again if you can't then there's no point in testing anything) it will be limited to your hosts ability rather than switch ability.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
I can't get iperf3 to work on the OpnSense box

I have the plugin installed. When I go to Interfaces - > Diagnotics -> Iperf and click create instance for the LAN it does not show any port information to provide for he client on the other PC
I never used opensense, but shoud have some command line interface.

MannyLNJ

Mar 19, 2023
I never used opensense, but shoud have some command line interface.
Apparently, there is an issue with iperf3 and the latest version of OpnSense.

I got it running and from my PC to the OpnSense system I am gettiung 937 Mbits/sec going from my PC to my Cisco Switch which then goes to the Netgear Switch and into my OpnSense box. I will be updating this post when I swap in the new switch.

Without the new switch and not going through the Netgear switch, I am getting 2.24 Gbits/sec

I do not have other 2.5G devices so I can't report how it will function under higher loads

Last edited: