New member Q

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
I’m new but have been lurking for about a month or so take it easy on me...

I just bought an Intel S2600CP4 with the hopes of replacing the aging dual AMD 2419 processors and motherboard in my 4U Supermicro FreeNAS server. The current hardware is inadequate (12 cores is inadequate!) for decent transcoding and flat out fails playing 4k video.

The box is a modified SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B. Used quiet fans and a regular 800w quiet ATX power supply to replace the jet engine PSU it had in it originally.

So I bought the Intel mobo as it seemed like a decent deal at $175 and a path to a more robust processing solution. Since ZFS likes RAM, I will probably hunt for some decent deals on 16Gb sticks soon.

But, will the Intel motherboard fit in a Supermicro case? What was my assumption might be erroneous as the few comments about this that I found make note of non-standard configuration (I know what they say about assumptions).

I guess I will find out in a few days when the board gets here anyway.

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That case is very big. I'd peg it around 95% chance it will either work or you may have to tap a few mounting holes to make it work. That's a trip to Home Depot and $5 + 10 minutes to do if the mounting points don't line up.

The only problem I can really forsee is the PSU. It'll depend how that's mounted. With the stock PSU you'd be fine.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I’m new but have been lurking for about a month or so take it easy on me...

I just bought an Intel S2600CP4 with the hopes of replacing the aging dual AMD 2419 processors and motherboard in my 4U Supermicro FreeNAS server. The current hardware is inadequate (12 cores is inadequate!) for decent transcoding and flat out fails playing 4k video.

The box is a modified SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B. Used quiet fans and a regular 800w quiet ATX power supply to replace the jet engine PSU it had in it originally.

So I bought the Intel mobo as it seemed like a decent deal at $175 and a path to a more robust processing solution. Since ZFS likes RAM, I will probably hunt for some decent deals on 16Gb sticks soon.

But, will the Intel motherboard fit in a Supermicro case? What was my assumption might be erroneous as the few comments about this that I found make note of non-standard configuration (I know what they say about assumptions).

I guess I will find out in a few days when the board gets here anyway.
I agree with @MiniKnight . Also welcome to STH

Reactions: MiniKnight

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks guys. I have no issues with the board mounts and tapping the case as needed. I will make the PSU work somehow. Now to find some processors and RAM...