New Managed LAN Switch Required - any recommendations?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I have, but there's not much there. The operating system is not something I am familiar with, it certainly isn't Linux, at least not in the normal sense. I SSH'ed into the switch and it seems to offer the following commands from the command line

Screenshot 2024-03-21 200657.jpg

nexox

May 3, 2023
That looks familiar, I want to say one of my TPLink 802.11ac APs had something like that, but it could have been Engenius. You're not actually seeing the OS, you just get into an application that implements a few commands.

Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I have, but there's not much there. The operating system is not something I am familiar with, it certainly isn't Linux, at least not in the normal sense. I SSH'ed into the switch and it seems to offer the following commands from the command line
It's almost certainly Linux or possibly BSD, but most likely Linux. Like @nexox said, the user's shell is simply set to custom application that implements that CLI you see.

That looks familiar, I want to say one of my TPLink 802.11ac APs had something like that, but it could have been Engenius. You're not actually seeing the OS, you just get into an application that implements a few commands.
It's pretty similar to the CLI used on my Realtek based Hasivo switch, I think. :) It wouldn't surprise me if it's some generic CLI from either the switch chip vendor or some other entity building it for multiple vendors and brands.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
@louie1961 came across thread looking Mokerlink 24 2.5gbe ports and 6 SFP+ 10gbe ports reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I see its been over a month now since you posted and wanted to check how is your experience so far? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this one too because there is literally no other managed switched I could from Mikrotik or others with similar port configuration.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
@louie1961 came across thread looking Mokerlink 24 2.5gbe ports and 6 SFP+ 10gbe ports reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I see its been over a month now since you posted and wanted to check how is your experience so far? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this one too because there is literally no other managed switched I could from Mikrotik or others with similar port configuration.
I love it. It has been rock solid. It took some trial and error to get LACP links set up between my two NAS boxes and between the switch and my pfSense box (Hunsn N100 box from Amazon). But once everything was set up, I have literally been able to ignore the switch. I did upgrade my main Proxmox node to a 10g copper NIC and I bought one of these RJ-45 SFP+ transceivers for the switch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LIUK5/?th=1 The transceiver itself gets pretty hot, almost too hot to touch. But the switch itself works great and reports a temp of 44 degrees C, which seems pretty decent to me for a fanless unit

Its kind of funny, because the switch is almost the largest piece of hardware in my setup. My main proxmox node is an HP Elitedesk 1L PC, my secondary node is a NUC size device. My router/firewall is a four port fanless unit (looks like a protectli basically), and my WAP is about the size of a 1 liter PC as well. In hindsight itI could have gotten by with something with a smaller footprint. It really looks like it would be more well suited to be rack mounted. But performance has been great, and I couldn't really be happier with it.

My set up is dual WAN into the pfSense box, two 2.5g links (LACP) from the pfSense box to the switch, two 2.5g links (LACP) to my Synology DS220+, two 2.5g links (LACP) to my Terramaster F2-423, one 10g link to my main Proxmox, one 2.5g link to my secondary Proxmox node (mainly runs backups and ansible), one 2.5g link to my third Proxmox node which is only turned on periodically, I use it as a sandbox, 1 1gb link to my WAP, and 1gb links to my Ring alarm and my Pi-Star hotspot. The switch draws about 30 amps with this setup.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I love it. It has been rock solid. It took some trial and error to get LACP links set up between my two NAS boxes and between the switch and my pfSense box (Hunsn N100 box from Amazon). But once everything was set up, I have literally been able to ignore the switch. I did upgrade my main Proxmox node to a 10g copper NIC and I bought one of these RJ-45 SFP+ transceivers for the switch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LIUK5/?th=1 The transceiver itself gets pretty hot, almost too hot to touch. But the switch itself works great and reports a temp of 44 degrees C, which seems pretty decent to me for a fanless unit

Its kind of funny, because the switch is almost the largest piece of hardware in my setup. My main proxmox node is an HP Elitedesk 1L PC, my secondary node is a NUC size device. My router/firewall is a four port fanless unit (looks like a protectli basically), and my WAP is about the size of a 1 liter PC as well. In hindsight itI could have gotten by with something with a smaller footprint. It really looks like it would be more well suited to be rack mounted. But performance has been great, and I couldn't really be happier with it.

My set up is dual WAN into the pfSense box, two 2.5g links (LACP) from the pfSense box to the switch, two 2.5g links (LACP) to my Synology DS220+, two 2.5g links (LACP) to my Terramaster F2-423, one 10g link to my main Proxmox, one 2.5g link to my secondary Proxmox node (mainly runs backups and ansible), one 2.5g link to my third Proxmox node which is only turned on periodically, I use it as a sandbox, 1 1gb link to my WAP, and 1gb links to my Ring alarm and my Pi-Star hotspot. The switch draws about 30 amps with this setup.
Excellent, glad to hear it is working out great for your so far. Nice homelab you have got going there :cool:

Think I'm going to pull the buy trigger. My only gripe is wish they had better user manual and documentation.

BTW, I think you meant 30W. With 30 amps I'm going to have hard times paying the electric bill lol

Reactions: STLJonny

STLJonny

Jan 24, 2024
Midwest USA

I never pulled the trigger, when I first read/replied in this thread. Guess I'm going to now.

I run a TopTon n6005 6x2.5gb pfSense box, so think I'll go the same direction as you (dual to lan switch).