New build ZOL 24TB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
If you have a mergerfs pool which you are exporting there have been issues reported. If you are merging NFS exports... no issues.
is that the same issue if mergerfs pool is mounted on SMB? just curious

trapexit

Feb 18, 2016
New York, NY
github.com
No. What issue with Samba? The only known issue is not a mergerfs thing... it's a SMB/CIFS client thing related to renaming of files. You can read the details of the issue in the mergerfs readme.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
this will give me a headache, if I mount mergerfs pool to nsfs v4?

this is that I am planning for :...

could you tell an open issue # on github mergerfs?
As an FYI, I export a mergerfs pool with NFS4 on Ubuntu with no issues. I just checked Github for any issues about NFS exports and I don't see any open issues.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm going to be testing merging two NFSv4 mountpoints (one on my local network and one over a 100Mbps VPN) using mergerfs this weekend so I will report back any findings I make.

Reactions: rubylaser

canta

Nov 26, 2014
No. What issue with Samba? The only known issue is not a mergerfs thing... it's a SMB/CIFS client thing related to renaming of files. You can read the details of the issue in the mergerfs readme.
As an FYI, I export a mergerfs pool with NFS4 on Ubuntu with no issues. I just checked Github for any issues about NFS exports and I don't see any open issues.
I export my mergerfs pool via SMB without issue as well. If you are trying to pool SMB or NFS mountpoints, there shouldn't be any problems either.
Thanks...
renaming issue on SMB/CIFS.

will try to mount on NFS 4.X and run simple unit testing to emulate read/rename/copy....in iteration.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Just out of curiosity could you set up a few nodes with let's say 4 hdds each and then share each via nfs mounts separately and then use mergerfs on another node and pool all those mounts into one pool, correct?

If done on a gigabit network would it be reasonable to assume that you could saturate a gigabit connection on reads and writes this way?

Would it be possible to set this up with a wol or ipmi command when querying drives from one of those nfs mounts to turn on the node? I have implemented a script on a ddwrt router to wol a plex server on lan or wan when the server is queried and by a specific port. I assume nfs runs over a specific port or something that can be used to identify traffic. How long would mergerfs pause while things boot or would it crash hard?

This theoretical exercise is mainly because this could be a pretty cool way to create a large pool with extremely low power use and only spin up nodes on demand and then shut them down on idle.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
All of the pooling portion of the above should work, but I have no idea about mergerfs' ability to wait for an OS to start up and share out the disks correctly. I don't have any extra hardware to try this out right now unfortunately. It seems like a cool experiment.

You would' need to worry about ports with NFS as mergerfs would just pool the underlying NFS mounts via mount point.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Do you happen to know if mergerfs queries every drive on every read and write? I can't imagine it does because otherwise all the drives would spin up anytime there is a read or write on disk.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
It depends on the write policy and where on the pool the reads need to come from. I would expect to have a fair amount of disk spinup in this scenario as mount points would not be available to query if they were off.

Trapexit, the author of mergerfs, is investigating some mechanisms to reduce the potential for disk spin ups even further. If you have questions, just post on his Github page, he is extremely responsive. Although, this and my example above are pretty big leaps from what mergerfs is really designed to do (a simple pooling solution with write modes).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuntzu