New build: Dedicated server for Plex Media Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
One of the nice things of unRAID is that the drives are readable in a other system and you don't lose the whole array when you lose 2 drives at the same time

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Here's an example. Let's say you're running CentOS with EPEL installed.

Code:
yum install docker-io
service docker start
chkconfig docker on
docker run -d -h basement -v /mnt/plex:/config -v /mnt/video:/data -p 32400:32400 timhaak/plex

What that does is starts a copy of plex from timhaak, stores the config in /mnt/plex and mounts the data volume at /mnt/video. It'll start it on port 32400, which you'll have to do local firewalls and whatnot. It will know that you don't have timhaak/plex downloaded and will download that for you. The image is 419MB (he should trim it down someday...).

Complete instructions are here:
timhaak/docker-plex · GitHub

So relatively simple.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yep, I think it comes as a yum package or something. This is pretty portable, isolated, etc. I have been trying to see how portable I can make my systems in case of a rebuild. This works great for large and complex packages or suites. I am using it to deploy complex scientific software stacks that rarely compile correctly, really comes on handy there. This removes the OS and dependencies from the puzzle.