New build: Dedicated server for Plex Media Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
Hi,

I want to build a dedicated server for Plex Media Server. I want to use the following parts:

[snip]
Intel E3-1270v3 Afuture.nl
[snip]Intel E3-1275v3 Afuture.nl (was first choice but not necessary because of onboard graphics)[/snip]
Supermicro X10sl7 Afuture.nl
2x Memory modules KVR16E11/8 Afuture.nl
[/snip]
I have the following parts:

Ri-vier 3U 16bay Storage Chassis (With SGPIO) Ri-vier 3U 16bay Storage Chassis (With SGPIO) - RV-3316-01A [RV-3316-01A] - €295.00 : Ri-vier, for 19 inch Rachmount cases, Cables and Powersupplys.
Seasonic OEM 600W 2U EPS SS-600H 2U 80Plus Seasonic OEM 600W 2U EPS SS-600H 2U 80Plus White - Modular [SS-600H2U] - €125.00 : Ri-vier, for 19 inch Rachmount cases, Cables and Powersupplys.
4x SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS Cable. L=100cm [02-0303-100] - €20.00 : Ri-vier, for 19 inch Rachmount cases, Cables and Powersupplys.

[snip]
If i can sell the 16bay Storage Chassis the I'll use this one: Ri-vier 4U 24bay SAS/SATA storage chassis - RVS4-06A [RVS4-06A] - €275.00 : Ri-vier, for 19 inch Rachmount cases, Cables and Powersupplys. with this power supplies: Seasonic M12II 850W 80+ Bronze [M12II-850W-80+] - €114.40 : Ri-vier, for 19 inch Rachmount cases, Cables and Powersupplys.
[/snip]

I'm not yet sure what Linux distro I'm going to use. I already have a encode server running with Ubuntu server. So maybe I also use this for the new server. Then I'll Use snapraid for redundancy and AUfs for pooling. I'm also considering unRAID.

I need a hba card. What card should I consider? [snip]Also has this motherboard integrated graphics or is it just for IMPI. I select a cpu with integrated graphics.[/snip] Please your suggestions.

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
+1 for SnapRAID. I use flashed IBM m1015's for my disks and they work very well. If you want info to setup SnapRAID on Ubuntu, I have a pretty good tutorial on my site. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. At this point, I view SnapRAID as a no brainer vs. paying for an UnRAID pro license ($119). It supports up to 6 parity disks, provides for checksumming, allows you to use disks with data already on them, it's actively being developed, etc.

You don't need a CPU with an integrated GPU, because that board has the onboard Aspeed GPU that will provide video out.

Last edited:

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
+1 for SnapRAID. I use flashed IBM m1015's for my disks and they work very well. If you want info to setup SnapRAID on Ubuntu, I have a pretty good tutorial on my site. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. At this point, I view SnapRAID as a no brainer vs. paying for an UnRAID pro license ($119). It supports up to 6 parity disks, provides for checksumming, allows you to use disks with data already on them, it's actively being developed, etc.

You don't need a CPU with an integrated GPU, because that board has the onboard Aspeed GPU that will provide video out.
I've heard many good thing about SnapRAID. I'm going to follow your tutorial and test it in a virtual machine.

checking out the IBM m1015! How did you flashed the card?

I'm going to change my list (first post). Intel E3-1270v3 Afuture.nl

Thanks for answering!

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I've heard many good thing about SnapRAID. I'm going to follow your tutorial and test it in a virtual machine.

checking out the IBM m1015! How did you flashed the card?

I'm going to change my list (first post).

Thanks for answering!
There is actually a great tutorial for flashing the M1015 to IT mode on the main site. You can view it here.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Also any distro would work if you wanted to run the Plex server via Docker. I do that and it's really clean and easy.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
So ri-vier is a local rebranding of the Norco/ Chenbro cases? Never knew that.
Norco comes in a number of flavors. X-case has them in the UK, over in Germany there are rebrands/rebadged and Ri-vier started out as a dutch/EU importer of Norco chassis.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Used (ebay) SuperMicro is preferred over anything Norco/X-Case/other. I do realize availability can be an issue in many countries, but you really can't understate how dodgy Norco's manufacturing and quality control is (e.g., backplane quality issues and when installing with their "supported" rail kits they usually don't even fit into a standard rack).

Reactions: MiniKnight

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Used (ebay) SuperMicro is preferred over anything Norco/X-Case/other. I do realize availability can be an issue in many countries,
Yeah, Supermicro really may as well not exist in Europe, they're that difficult to get over here. In the UK there's a few small suppliers who ship a few of their servers a few at a time. Very, very difficult to get hold of.

Norco, well yeah, they're cheap and mostly cheerful, but given the lack of other choices, they're about the best available over here.

Reactions: snarkyJock

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Many, many thanks for all the suggestions!

What about this card Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. I'm only not sure if it runs on Ubuntu Server 14.04.
I would probably avoid that card unless you just can't find a used m1015 via eBay. It's Marvell based, so I would much prefer an LSI based card over it (m1015). Also, from some Googling about the card the, it appears that for some users it was plug and play and others that it didn't work at all in Ubuntu. I don't have one of those cards, I so can't confirm or deny that it works.

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
Okay change of plan!

I'm going to rebuild a server that I already have. It's Xeon E1275v3. This is my encode server but i'm going to stop encode movies. I'm going to remix my movies. I'm going to use the Ri-vier 3U 16bay Storage Chassis (With SGPIO). I want to buy the LSI SAS 9201-16i Host Bus Adapter. This card also supports SGPIO. With this card i can attach all of my drives and i only need to use one slot. Only I'm not sure which Linux distro to use yet...

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yes, the only downtime I have is when I reboot or update the Plex container. It's as robust as the base system it runs on since it is nothing more than a chroot'd install of Plex. Easy install and migration of things don't work right. Just need to point the Docker to your media volumes.