Network architecture (semi-noob) questions/advice, please?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ErniePantuso

Aug 24, 2022
I apologize in advance for the length of the following. If you take the time to read it, know that I very much appreciate your time and consideration! :)

I'm going from an inexpensive, consumer-grade (mesh WiFi) network to a fully managed home network with pfSense, a managed switch, and managed APs. There's a lot that I don't understand, yet but I want to learn so I'm not looking to "keep it simple". I want the challenge; I want to do things (that make sense) in my home network that would emulate the things I'd be doing in an enterprise environment. My goals, here, are to build a solid, secure home network while learning some sysadmin skills in the process.

Here are the functional areas of my network...
  • Home segment - primarily my/wife's iPhones and iPads
  • Infrastructure/(network) management/admin
  • Work segment - I'll be getting a remote job. I want to isolate work stuff from everything else, primarily so that a security breach in one of my networks doesn't make it to my employer's network, but also for the sake of my own privacy.
  • Guest segment - internet access for visitors to my house who should have little or no access to anything inside my home. I plan to use the same SSID and password that I've been using for my simple home network so that previous visitors will transparently have access to the internet without needing to ask me for the new SSID and password.
  • Homelab - a variety of servers and clusters (bare metal, VMs, and containers) providing several services (NextCloud, etc.) that are available to me both inside the home and (some, such as Emby, will be shared) outside the home as well as specific network environments for learning various stuff. I'll be playing around with/learning a lot of different things, here, and I don't want some stupid mistake (or getting hacked because I'm exposing some of my servers to the internet) to impact other areas of my network. I will, of course, be implementing plenty of security measures but I may make mistakes that leave my homelab network vulnerable.
  • IoT - Alexa, smart plugs, switches, bulbs, lock, thermostat, etc. - all controlled by Home Assistant, most needing internet access, most having a high risk of being compromised. Over time, I hope to install new firmware on many of these devices so that they don't need internet access. I may, at that point, want to have an IoT-local segment...
  • Security/surveillance - currently just a few Wyze cameras on WiFi. I'd like to move toward a MotionEye or Blue Iris system using wired cameras that don't need internet access but for now, my cameras need internet access)
  • Media - a few Roku devices and an Emby server - I don't think the Rokus have much of a risk profile but since the Emby server will be exposed to the internet, I think I'm going to want to isolate this segment as much as possible.
So, my questions are...
  1. For separating/securing these segments, should I use subnetting, VLANs, both? - are their dis/advantages for each?
  2. Am I overthinking/over-complicating the segmentation? Should I combine (e.g.) the IoT and security/surveillance segments? Or others?
  3. How do I allow nodes on one segment access to nodes (i.e. with nodes that are less secure/higher risk) on other segments while minimizing the extra risk introduced? (This is Examples would be allowing Home Assistant on the IoT segment to access camera feeds from the Security/surveillance segment, accessing the Home Assistant dashboard on the IoT segment from my iPad on the home segment, allowing my iPhone on the home segment to cast to a Roku on the media segment?
  4. Thinking about the above examples, can I allow traffic in one direction (e.g. casting from my iPad to a Roku), while disallowing any traffic in the other direction? Is that even workable since there's an initial handshake required for casting?
  5. To the extent that Home Assistant is going to be really important (providing lots of home automation services that my wife and I will come to depend on), I'll want to protect it, as much as possible, from hacking. Should I move it to my home segment so it's not exposed to the security risks of all that Chinese firmware? If I did, how would HA control (and get information from) all those devices? And if it's not practical to move the HA controller to a different segment, what can I do to give it some extra protection from all those risky IoT devices?
  6. Should containers in my homelab have their own subnet/VLAN? Assuming I want to create a network environment (for learning) - potentially utilizing containers on more than one host, can I put containers on separate/different (maybe even multiple) segments?
  7. Would a lot of the above issues correlate to issues that I'd face in a corporate networking environment or should I just simplify in certain areas since there's no real learning opportunities there?
  8. Are there questions I should be asking that I don't even know to ask yet?
If you've read this far, you're awesome! Again, thank you for your time and consideration

Reactions: abq

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
2. i think that yes, like most of homelabbers you are overcomplicating things. i would create one extra vlan for wifi-guest and for untrusty ad-ridden IoT devices(alexa, smart tvs) and thats it.
4. yes, you can control SYN packets(and allow ESTAB) to filter what side initiates the connection.
7. yes, corporate is VLAN heavy. but corporate got 100x times more reasons to segment their network compared to a home user using his own network.

if you are not looking for keep-it-simple advices, i say that you are on your own to make some overcomplicated mess only to re-do everything every 2 weeks.

ErniePantuso

Aug 24, 2022
Thanks so much for reading my post, altmind! I really appreciate your time and advice. I’ll take everything you said under consideration.

2. i think that yes, like most of homelabbers you are overcomplicating things. i would create one extra vlan for wifi-guest and for untrusty ad-ridden IoT devices(alexa, smart tvs) and thats it.
4. yes, you can control SYN packets(and allow ESTAB) to filter what side initiates the connection.
7. yes, corporate is VLAN heavy. but corporate got 100x times more reasons to segment their network compared to a home user using his own network.

if you are not looking for keep-it-simple advices, i say that you are on your own to make some overcomplicated mess only to re-do everything every 2 weeks.
Yeah, it seems like making an over complicated mess is what I need to do. But each time I have to redo everything, I learn something, right? Maybe several things. And eventually I’ll get it perfect, having learned lots along the way! :)

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I confess, I go pretty much with Earnie‘s first suggestion. Devices I don’t trust much go on their own vlan (even per vendor) and are L3 routed with acl’s. Stuff I really don’t trust at all go on their on vlans that are also firewalled with opnsense.

Reactions: ErniePantuso

ErniePantuso

Aug 24, 2022
I confess, I go pretty much with Earnie‘s first suggestion. Devices I don’t trust much go on their own vlan (even per vendor) and are L3 routed with acl’s. Stuff I really don’t trust at all go on their on vlans that are also firewalled with opnsense.
Thanks for the input, Drewy! Any thoughts on my segmentation scheme? And why do you use VLANs over just subnetting?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Separate subnets on the same broadcast domain (VLAN) can still trivially reach each other. Subnetting is to guide routing decisions; VLAN separation is to isolate traffic. But don't rely solely on VLANs for internal security. The host/VM running HA can also have its own software firewall, virtual network rules, etc. And of course ensuring no non-essential services (e.g., exim) are running on hosts or VMs.

Inter-VLAN traffic would go via a router, which you'd probably want to configure as default deny, only allowing specified traffic across. Many IoT services, including Roku, rely on mDNS, so you may want avahi to forward between VLANs. If there is high-bandwidth inter-VLAN traffic (perhaps the cams if there are many), you might consider putting the NVR (BlueIris et al.) on the same VLAN as the cams, or using an L3-capable switch to do the routing in hardware.

Reactions: ErniePantuso

ErniePantuso

Aug 24, 2022
Wow! Thank you, Sean Ho! I’m going to have to read that about 20 more times before I can understand it all but I sure appreciate your time, assistance, and advice!

Reactions: Sean Ho