Need more sata ports z440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gd77

Dec 5, 2022
Hi
I am running esxi on z440 and need to add more hdd/ssd. Which sata pci-e sata adapter should i buy to avoid any driver/incompatibility issues. Looking to pick up something from aliexpress if possible. Thanks

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
There are 6 motherboard SATA ports on a Z440 (2x from the SATA and 4x from the sSATA), 2x 3.5" bays and 2x 5.25" bays. I assume you must be using some sort of 2.5" drives in a 5.25" bay enclosure to need more SATA.

The "Marvell 88SE9230" is on the ESXi 7.0 and 8.0 HCL. Google for cards. There are also supported M.2 to SATA adapters and you could get a PCIe to M.2 card, then put the M.2 to SATA adapter on it.

You can also ask VMware:

Pick "SATA" from the "IO Device Type" list and your ESXi version, and see what comes up.

The best thing do to, though, is to get a supported LSI RAID card and either really use the hardware RAID functionality or have each drive be a single RAID-0 volume.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
Im pretty sure vmware doesnt support anything from aliexpress without issues.

X2 Get an LSI card, theyre cheap enough used on the ebays. and forward breakout cables.

Reactions: gd77