Need Help with a DELL Perc H810 Controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I Purchased a Dell Perc H810 to use in my PC Server. The motherboard does not post at all. The Error code is FF.

I removed all the PCIe cards but the Graphics and the Dell.

I moved the Dell to every slot including the x4 slot. No luck.

I changed the bios to Safe Default, Optimized default.

I changed the memory to slower memory.

I can't get it to post. Is the Dell bad or does it just not work in anything but a Dell Server?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
there are cards that go in storage slots, these will mess with the smbus and you can google "perc 6/i smbus tape mod". These controllers are not meant to run in other systems and will fail or cause memory errors.

IBM goes even further and adds extra pins to the cards so you can't physically use them because the cards are sold "cheaper" max 1 per system. "integrated".

I'll say this - use regular lsi in non-dell. do not use ibm in dell, nor hp. H700 is solid (without the battery) with R610 but not stable in anything else. ibm is not stable in R610. Lsi retail is stable in all.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
don't forget to megaSCU that thing to turn on all the goodies!

where did you get it? rackables deal? Are you using PCI-E 3.0? Does it come with cachecade 1.1 or 2.0? I know fastpath is included with all h700/h800/h710/h810

I've had it with LSI controllers, I'm going back to HP

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
But are you running the command with as 'Admin'

I run 'Command' (DOS prompt in windows) as admin then run the command with switches
If you are not as 'Admin' then you get the not seen error.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I had to roll back MSM to version 12.05.03.00 from version 13.01.04.00 to get the battery info to display correctly. I'm still not 100% sure of that version, but I'm watching it.

[Edit]

So far, so good.

Last edited:

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I can't figure out how to turn on JBOD yet. megacli and megascu don't work.

I wrote down the message after trying to set JBOD again with megascu:

megascu -adpsetprop -enablejbod 1 -aall

Adapter 0: Failed to Set Adapter Properties

Exit Code 0x01

There is nothing in the bios menus to change the setting.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
This stinks! Wish the PERC cards worked fine. Seems like there is always something amiss with them. Be it taping pins on the 5/6, dell locking in so only their drives would work (they had firmware to fix this after outrage though) and now this.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I found this reply to an inquiry about JBOD on a Perc H710 on Dell support forum:

Posted by theflash1932
replied on 22 Mar 2012 10:48 PM

1. The PERC's (H710 in particular) will support more simultaneous RAID arrays than is practical to create on one controller (64 different RAID arrays), so, yes, it will support your RAID 1 and RAID 5, no problem.

2. The PERC's do not support non-RAID (JBOD), so in order to use an individual disk that is not connected to another RAID array, you must configure it on the controller - the only valid RAID level for a single disk is RAID 0.

Looks like I'm SOL unless someone can cheat the controller.

OK, someone cheat the controller. I'll use my card as the Guinea Pig.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I buy a LSI 2208 controller and it has JBOD but can't power down configured drives.

I buy a Dell 2208 controller and it will power down configured drives but won't do JBOD.

Go figure :(

Last edited:

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Does Areca do JBOD and Power down active drives ?
I bought a 1880i a couple years ago but I can't remember why I didn't like it. I think it was the GUI. Maybe I'll look at them again.

I like the speed of the 2208 and the simplicity of MSM. Besides I got the H810 brand new for $290.00, can't get Areca's for that.

[edit] I remember now; The controller was blue-screening Win XP x64. I use Win 7 now.

Last edited:

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Ok, I tested an Adaptec 6000 series card I have and it powers down arrays but not JBOD. Same with the 5000 series.

I snagged an Areca 1222 on Ebay. It has spindown, but I don't know if it will spindown JBOD's. Hopefully it does, even if it's a global setting.

I remark here after I get it.

The 1222 is cheap and would be great for my Flexraid backup array if spindown is supported for JBOD.

My Raid 5 arrays are covered by the Dell H810 and Chenbro expander.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
The Areca 1222 has a global spindown that includes JBOD. What they call JBOD is pass-through. It's SATA II but I can't see any difference in speed from a 6GB/s controller.

Here is a Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB disk on the Areca 1222

I found out why Windows 7 drive power down was not working - If Win 7 detects a SSD drive, then drive power down is automatically disabled.