need help choosing an OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
so im building a server and i need help choosing an OS. would prefer an OS that is easy to use and learn, bonus points if the server OS can use ssd drives as cache drives. my server will be for daily backups from my gaming pc to the server that way if my gaming pc crashes its backed up. i would prefer it if the server had a gui so i dont have to type in commands all the time im leaning towards server 2019 or 2022 i know windows server 2022 is newer but um yeah

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
When you say server, do you mean just a NAS or are you wanting to use the machine for somethig alse?

TrueNAS offers a lot more than a NAS, has a pretty decent web interface and of course allows ssd cache drives. For a greater linux experience, debian (or even proxmox) would be my choice with a ZFS pool of your disks and an SSD zil/l2arc cache drive, with samba. Either options allow you to back up your PC and much much more if you desire.

If you just want a windows box, windows 10 can use SSD cache drives.

Either way if chosing hardware for the task, id personally go with ECC ram if possible, a CPU with integrated graphics and a 2.5/5gb network at least if you want to utilise the performance of the disks. Go headless and RDP on to the server or the web based interface.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
@bigfellasdad ill be using dual 10 core socker 2011 cpus since i got the cpus ram and mobo for under 150 also i didnt know windows 10 could use cache drives can you clarify for me as i was told i cant use cache drives in 10 my storage pool on my windows 10 pc doesnt support cache drives

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018

But seriously, you are putting together an old power hungry server to backup a single home gaming pc? Get an external 5tb drive and plug into your pc.

Reactions: kaitlin4599

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
@bigfellasdad i appreciate your reply but first off external drives arent cheap and second i have well over 48TB+ of data to back up and 3 my mate gave me a few of his 4tb and 8tb drives when he upgraded so i only paid for the mobo cpu ram combo hence why i built the server

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
48TB gaming rig, respect :) clear out your replay cache !
If 48Tb of gaming history is important to you, then crack on. If I needed to back up that amount of data, firstly id question realistically my motive. If that stands id consider 10Gb, or at least 2.5gb dependant upon how much data actually changes.

Reactions: kaitlin4599

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
48TB gaming rig, respect :) clear out your replay cache !
If 48Tb of gaming history is important to you, then crack on. If I needed to back up that amount of data, firstly id question realistically my motive. If that stands id consider 10Gb, or at least 2.5gb dependant upon how much data actually changes.
i will deff keep that in mind thanks