Need a better labeling solution

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So my Dymo label maker is not cutting it. I think the lack of '.' and '-' keys is making it painful.

I know I can barcode read via my phone, but is there a solution anyone is using to make barcode labels?

I find myself often putting motherboards into chassis. I then want to have a label with the MAC address and the name of the server on the outside of the case. A lot of pre-built systems have this but I am building one-offs (e.g. 4 new servers for DemoEval.)

Trying to figure out something that works and is usable in the data center that will work when doing 2-5 labels/ week.

I was also thinking of just getting either of these:
Amazon.com: DYMO RhinoPRO 6000 Label Printer (1734519): Home Improvement or
Brady BMP21-PLUS Handheld Label Printer with Rubber Bumpers, Multi-Line Print, 6 to 40 Point Font: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

There are Android app to Google sheets items out there so maybe that is good enough on the software side.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I use a Brady TLS2200 printer. Most of the time I use self-laminating cable labels, but it can also print a practically infinite assortment of label types, including wallplate cardboard legends, etc. This printer is also certified for aviation labels (special blank labels required).

It is probably too pricey for your level of usage, though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Terry, aside from having a great last name and the picture of the Ariel Atom in your profile, I love the fact you know your label maker is aviation approved.

A bit outside of my budget though. :)

Reactions: Chuntzu

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Terry, aside from having a great last name and the picture of the Ariel Atom in your profile, I love the fact you know your label maker is aviation approved.
The Atom is a lot of fun, most of the time. But sometimes you see this:

which quickly turns into this:

You know why they call 'em "bucket seats?" Because they fill full of water!

Reactions: Chuntzu and pgh5278

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ha! I was seriously looking at those years ago but then decided to kick the track habit. 4 sets of wheels for the M coupe, 2 for the JCW Mini Cooper S was a bit much in my tiny law school apartment.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Ha! I was seriously looking at those years ago but then decided to kick the track habit. 4 sets of wheels for the M coupe, 2 for the JCW Mini Cooper S was a bit much in my tiny law school apartment.
The Atom is very easy on tires because it is so light. I got 3 long days of racing at Laguna Seca followed by 3500 road miles on a set of Advan AO48's in soft (normally AO48's are used in medium or medium-hard) rubber at 18 PSI. I may have the only review of AO48's on Tirerack where the driving style is listed as "relaxed". :p

Reactions: Patrick

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I was about to say the same thing, was eye balling the atoms for a long time, just never pulled the trigger. during my track days I was burning through tires and breaks and got a bit much on my e60m5. I'm glad I got that expensive habit out of the way early on, now I have only one expensive hobby!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
My old Brother p-touch gets the job done... Has punctuation, the labels stick decently, not much else to say about a label maker... Perhaps not as fun to play with as the race cars though... :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've got a nice Brother label printer but the label tape I have for it won't stick to cables. Is there a tape available that will?

Thanks

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I don't think I've ever tried it on cables. If I did, I'd probably loop it around and stick it to itself. Even if it doesn't stick well to the cable jacket, that might be enough to keep it from coming off.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I just printed a barcode for the first time with my Brother Pt-D400. Not a handheld though, just got it super cheap on sale at Office Max.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I've been labeling a bunch of cables with a Brother PT-P750W lately. I create a spreadsheet full of label data, export it as a CSV, and then print using Brother's software onto TZeS251 labels. It's kind of a pain for single labels, but printing giant piles of labels is only slightly more difficult than printing one label.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The Rhino 6000 arrived today. Very big but seems a lot better than the LabelManager 280
I had. Going to play a bit more with it tomorrow. One area I am noticing a difference immediately is that the Rhino is a lot more complex. For example, it has templates, custom libraries, barcode modes and etc. The LM 280 was type and print. The LM 280 also had a manual cutter while the Rhino 6000 has an automated label cutter (not joking).

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Brady BMP51 has been a great printer for cable labeling and Brady's M-116-427 label is about the only self-laminating label that survives on cables.

EDIT: Also supports barcodes, automatic date codes and practically all characters that resemble latin alphabet.

Reactions: MiniKnight