Nas/Home Server build from scratch. Need advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erst_Account

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Hello Im quite new to the sth forum (and Forums in general),

So what i am looking for is a NAS with 3 to 4 TB of usable space for 4 Persons. I have a gigabit home network so speed isnt that nessecary, but id like to have the option to go multi gigabit in the future (once multi gig switches become affordable).
I dont mind buing a "ready to deploy" NAS from QNAP or any other brand or building it myself and using Freenas/OpenMediaVault or any other OS. It would be nice to be able to run small VMs (for a small Discord bot for examle).

Another requirement would be Power efficiency (sub 50 watts for the whole unit including the drives would be perfect, even tho it seems its barely possible without SSDs as a main storage).

As far as redundancy goes: Raid 5/RAIDZ would be preferable, as it seems to me its the most efficient yet still redundant Drive array

Is there anything out there that would suit my requirements for less than lets say 300 Euros excluding the bulk storage?
I dont mind 2nd hand/used servers or hardware, as long as its not loud because it will be sitting in the living room.

TL;DR:
Im looking for an efficient and expandable NAS/Server, New or Used, that has:
-Capactity for at least 12 TB of usable storage
-Can run simple VMs
-Is Efficient
-Costs less than 300 Euros excluding the Storage itself

Erst_Account

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
It's seems that being able to run vms is a hard criteria, this eliminates a lot of cheap nas (eg the wd my cloud nas devices)...
Yes, Id really like to be able to run VMs, otherwise i would need another device (Raspberry Pi, or something like that).

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
QNAP TS-451+ can be found on eBay within that budget with a little patience, though EU availability might require a lot of patience. A budget increase of 25/30% would open up your options substantially. Sounds like you have a good sense for your needs, just wait for the right item or parts.

Edit: I owned a 451+ for 4 years, comparable needs.

Reactions: MBastian