My next oddball CPU - e5-2675 v3, 16C/32T OEM chip

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I'm trying to find some hidden value in some of these lesser known e5 chips. Struck out with my 2651v2 attempt the other day, now it's time to try the e5-2675 v3. Not much out there about this chip - there was a thread here where there were some questions, but no answers. :)

I've got one on the way. Of note, my seller listed as 2.4ghz turbo and compatible with VT-d, which goes against the (admittedly very sparse) info that I found, so will be interesting to see what this bad boy can do. Since he has the chips in hand, I am trusting (hoping) that his info is right!

I'll run Linux-bench, Passmark CPU tests on it and post once I receive. If there are any other freely available tests that people are interested in, let me know.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
1.8 to 2.4 looks like?

What do you plan to use it for?

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
1.8 to 2.4 looks like?

What do you plan to use it for?
That's right - the more relevant details advertised below -

Family Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3
Model number E5-2675 v3
Frequency 1800 MHz
Turbo frequency 2400 MHz
The number of cores 16
The number of threads 32
Level 1 cache size 16 x 32 KB instruction caches
18 x 32 KB data caches
Level 2 cache size 16 x 256 KB
Level 3 cache size 40 MB
Physical memory 768 GB

Features
MMX instructions
SSE / Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSSE3 / Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSE4 / SSE4.1 + SSE4.2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 4
AES / Advanced Encryption Standard instructions
AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions
AVX2 / Advanced Vector Extensions 2.0
BMI / BMI1 + BMI2 / Bit Manipulation instructions
F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion instructions
FMA3 / 3-operand Fused Multiply-Add instructions
EM64T / Extended Memory 64 technology / Intel 64
NX / XD / Execute disable bit
HT / Hyper-Threading technology
VT-x / Virtualization technology
VT-d / Virtualization for directed I/O
TBT 2.0 / Turbo Boost technology 2.0
TXT / Trusted Execution technology

Low power features Enhanced SpeedStep technology

V core 0.65V - 1.3V
Thermal Design Power 120 Watt

It would just be going into a home server/NAS/Plex device, so theoretically could take advantage of multi-threaded goodness. Realistically, it should be massive overkill for what I need, but I may keep swapping depending on the numbers it puts up... :D

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm trying to find some hidden value in some of these lesser known e5 chips. Struck out with my 2651v2 attempt the other day, now it's time to try the e5-2675 v3. Not much out there about this chip - there was a thread here where there were some questions, but no answers. :)
One useful source for some information (or at least confirmation that the part exists) is Intel itself. You won't find the part by using the search function on the Intel web site, but you can find out information (whether they exist, and S-spec, etc.) on OEM-only processors by looking at seemingly-unrelated Product Change Notification bulletins. For example, PCN 114189-00 describes a change in the packaging material for OEM CPUs, but conveniently adds a list of models affected by the change. :oops:

I'll attach the single page listing the E5-2675 v3 here, in case Intel "disappears" it. The whole document makes for interesting reading. There are some products that don't even have marketing names - the table just repeats the product code. They have S-spec (release) numbers, not Q-spec (sample) part numbers. Perhaps these are customized chips for various large customers? On the other hand, it does list a "Intel® Xeon® Processor AWS-1100 v4" which sounds suspiciously like it is a part for Amazon.

Note: I found this document via Google. The document has no confidentiality notices on it. No NDAs were violated.

Attachments

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
One useful source for some information (or at least confirmation that the part exists) is Intel itself. You won't find the part by using the search function on the Intel web site, but you can find out information (whether they exist, and S-spec, etc.) on OEM-only processors by looking at seemingly-unrelated Product Change Notification bulletins. For example, PCN 114189-00 describes a change in the packaging material for OEM CPUs, but conveniently adds a list of models affected by the change. :oops:

I'll attach the single page listing the E5-2675 v3 here, in case Intel "disappears" it. The whole document makes for interesting reading. There are some products that don't even have marketing names - the table just repeats the product code. They have S-spec (release) numbers, not Q-spec (sample) part numbers. Perhaps these are customized chips for various large customers? On the other hand, it does list a "Intel® Xeon® Processor AWS-1100 v4" which sounds suspiciously like it is a part for Amazon.

Note: I found this document via Google. The document has no confidentiality notices on it. No NDAs were violated.
Can't get the site to load at work for some reason, but will check out tonight. The e5 2676 v3 was an OEM Amazon chip - wonder if that's the reference.

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
I ended up buying this last week due to me being an idiot :) (Post)

All I can say is WOW!!! This thing is a beast....mine says it is OEM, not an ES, but it does appear to be from China.

I tried to stress test it with plex last night... but couldn't get it to break a sweat. 4 HD6 Kindles, 2 Android Phones, 1 iPad, 1 FireTV, and 1 FireStick. all forced to transcode... the highest i could get the load was 3.

I used to have a FX-8320, and could only get it to stream to the 4 kindles (transcoding)

If i get a chance, I want to load windows on it, and submit it to Passmark for a score; I wish they had a linux passmark util.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I ended up buying this last week due to me being an idiot :) (Post)

All I can say is WOW!!! This thing is a beast....mine says it is OEM, not an ES, but it does appear to be from China.

I tried to stress test it with plex last night... but couldn't get it to break a sweat. 4 HD6 Kindles, 2 Android Phones, 1 iPad, 1 FireTV, and 1 FireStick. all forced to transcode... the highest i could get the load was 3.

I used to have a FX-8320, and could only get it to stream to the 4 kindles (transcoding)

If i get a chance, I want to load windows on it, and submit it to Passmark for a score; I wish they had a linux passmark util.
Awesome. Mine showed up this afternoon, so I'll throw it in a system tomorrow and post some benches. :D