My (near) silent SC847

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eliav

Feb 7, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
This started as a reply somewhere else, but figured others may be interested as well.

I plan on posting a full build log at some point, but this is how I silenced my new SC847 (from sfbayzfs).

I used the SNK-P0048AP4 CPU cooler, but the fan was a little loud. To quite it down, I replaced the stock fan with a Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM.

IMG_8565.jpg IMG_8569.jpg

To remove the fan from the cage just pop the reverse side of the pin.

IMG_8570.jpg IMG_8571.jpg

I also replaced the stock center fans with some Arctic F8 PWM Rev 2 fans. They pushed the most CFM/noise that I could find, but if someone else knows better, please let me know.

IMG_8572.jpg

First unsnap the plastic piece holding in the power connector
IMG_8573.jpg IMG_8574.jpg

I used snips to cut the notch out of the fan cage.
IMG_8575.jpg

I wrapped the cable around the fan 1 time and placed it back into the connector holder. I used some tape to hold it down, but superglue would probably work better.

IMG_8578.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_8579.jpg

What it looks like inside the SC847. Only 4 of the 7 fans were installed at this point.

IMG_8581.jpg IMG_8583.jpg

So far things seem OK. Runs a bit warmer than before, but the room it's in is usually pretty cool. I also don't have all drives populated.

I'll probably keep looking for other fans to swap out the Arctic ones with, but at least the mod is done and now its an easy swap!

I just did this tonight, so I'll keep track of temperatures and update in a few days.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Did you Exchange your chassi fans aswell already? - if so, to which brand/model?

Im gonna undergo this process within the next two months so any tips are apreciated :)

Eliav

Feb 7, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Did you Exchange your chassi fans aswell already? - if so, to which brand/model?
Yep! I did replace the chassis fans (see the picture where I snipped off the plastic part). I used Arctic F8 PWM Rev 2 fans, but I'm starting to think they don't provide enough static pressure.

I'm going to keep searching around.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I run 3 Supermicro SC847 Cases with stock fans (126L4).

The way I got them to be quiet was using the SQ power supplies and voltage modding the casefans to 5v.
In the bios i set the fans to full speed and use a Zalman PWM Mate to control the PWM duty cycle.
I have to do this since the room the servers are in gets a lot of sunshine.
In winter the disks are just active. In summer I use spindown on the disks to control the temperatures.

Tried going your route with swapping out the fans but sadly its was a no go for me since I have the cases filled with 36 disks.
The disks in front will keet to a reasonable temperature that way. The 12 disks in the back were overheating because they didnt get enough airflow.

How many disks are you running? and whats the ambient temperature in the room?

Eliav

Feb 7, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, maybe I'll try using the PWM Mate as well.
I'm running a SQ PSU right now (only 1) and I tried using the FAN-0074L4 (although I had to switch from the green to beige enclosure) but it wasn't quiet enough.

I've got 11 WD Reds (10 active, 1 hot spare) and 4 S3700's in my case right now.
I plan on throwing in my other 10 WD reds, but they aren't needed at the moment so I just use the drive blanks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Rahvin9999,

I have 30 disks (some spinners and some SSD) in my SC847. the issue I am getting is the fan noise is cyclic and not constant. the fans are connected to the MB fan inputs

This unit is in my living room. and I am having to deal with WAF. which means that the server is only on when I Need it on.

What I would like is a USB version of the Zalman PWM Mate. where I could control the fans without opening the case. or a rasberry PI/Arduino setup that could do the same simply.

Chris

Eliav

Feb 7, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Chris,
Why not just extend the cable so the PWM Mate is outside of the case?

Are you using a super micro MB? IPMI? Have you adjusted the fan speed mode if so?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rahvin9999,

What I would like is a USB version of the Zalman PWM Mate. where I could control the fans without opening the case. or a rasberry PI/Arduino setup that could do the same simply.

Chris
I agree on the remote thing. But the pwm mate has a controller. I passed it through a pci slot in the back of the chassis for easy access. Zalman even includes a piece of velcro in the kit.
For me its fine. Since I have it set to one speed fans with the fans @ 5V and PWM @50%

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Do you have a splitter to connect to all of the fans, or how are you cabling?

I was looking at doing that with something like this: Amazon.com: Evercool Model EC-DF001 17.72" PWM Braided Fan Splitter Run Multiple 4 pin fans!: Computers & Accessories
I'm running al 7 fans. Not really needed but. They are in there so why not use the redundant ones too.
Use this to connect it all up. Amazon.com: Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-ST 8 Way PWM Splitter-Sata: Computers & Accessories

I used the braided cable ones in the past, But they are not handy from a cable management perspective. The Swiftech is a little easier.
Next to the PWM Fan Mate I also have the molex connector routed outside the case with an extention cable and a DIY switch. So I can switch the fans to 12V if the Outside temperatures hit insane levels here.
Due to some building regulations AC units are not allowed. Which means I'm up the creek when it comes to cooling the room my servers are in.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Yep! I did replace the chassis fans (see the picture where I snipped off the plastic part). I used Arctic F8 PWM Rev 2 fans, but I'm starting to think they don't provide enough static pressure.

I'm going to keep searching around.
Any updates on the fans static pressure?

Im closing in on merging my two current servers into my chassi and if the expense isnt too big, Im considering changing the fans to allow for a little more WAF

Eliav

Feb 7, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Any updates on the fans static pressure?
I just got the PWM Mate - it was still a little loud with the stock fans even on the lowest setting.

I'm wondering if anyone has removed the stock fan panel and installed something like 3x 120mm fans? That'll give a lot of airflow quietly (it's what I did for my norco)

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
836 here so not the same, but I drilled holes in the fan wall for 92mm fans instead of keeping the 80mm fans.
You lose the flexibility of the slide-in fan swap ability, but it's a lot easier to keep 92s quiet and still functional than 80s.
Also, cutting out the plastic finger guards on the fan holders for any remaining 80mm fans keeps the noise down as well.

Reactions: Kristian

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I just got the PWM Mate - it was still a little loud with the stock fans even on the lowest setting.

I'm wondering if anyone has removed the stock fan panel and installed something like 3x 120mm fans? That'll give a lot of airflow quietly (it's what I did for my norco)
I am not sure 100% but it looks similar to my sm case. And I also moded to make it quiet.
1st. I replaced all 80 mm on the back wall with quieter models. Got it cheap in local microcenter.
2nd. Gut it out the psu and put in normal atx type. I know redundant psu etc. But it was to noisy.
3rd. Took out the fan wall and put in 2x120mm fan Zipp tied together.
In my case 120mm are a bit smaller so not the best fit. Will be replacing them with 140mm soon. It looks like 3 140mm should wit just right will see.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
bigger fans aren't necessarily the way to go, look at the static pressure of 120mm vs 80mm fans and consider what they are pulling air through, i.e a bank of hard disks. Several have tried in the past with less than spectacular results. Let us know how you get on and which fans you try.

JAHT

Jun 23, 2017
I am interested in getting the same case, any news on making this case silent and having good temps for the drives?

Thanks for help

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I have done the trick of switching the fans.

Fanwall is noctua industrial fans, rear is their normal line.

Keeps my discs well cool, and my cpu - xeon-d with passive heasink - has a little fan ontop of the heatsink to cool it a bit with the not-so-strong airflow. Seems to do the job.

posted pics in a different thread.

Last edited: