MSI B550 PRO-DASH (AM4) - Sure, it's not a perfect IPMI/VGA/KVM, but it's not IPMI money either.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
MSI B550 PRO-DASH (AM4)

Could the Realtek implementation of DASH be just enough to allow Home Lab guys to run AMD Ryzen at roughly 1/4 the price of the current (only) Asrock offering with some form of INCLUDED out of band management solution ? While Asus also seem to have certain 'Pro' models available that can accomplish the same or similar, they rely on finding a NIC (which I can not seem to find) to connect the onboard 2pin SMBUS header to, in order to achieve VGA KVM and full IPMI-like management.

The MSI board in question ( I estimate) to be in the $100 USD price range, as it's fellow models in the PRO lineup are in the $60+ USD range and up. This board simply employs a specific onboard Realtek 8111 flavored NIC with a direct board connection to the SMBUS header, then GUI/Console/VGAKVM software straight from Realtek.

While the board isn't perfect, I see it capable of a number of configurations depending on CPU/APU choice (x1 Video cards and 2.5Gbit x1 LAN cards are cheap). Gen4 PCIe primary storage and x16 slot being CPU direct, with the additional 2 x1 slots from the chipset @ Gen3 link speeds.

Any thoughts ?

Allan74

May 15, 2019
Almost forgot.
ECC Memory Support as standard on all Ryzen CPUs, not registered DIMMS unfortunately.

Alternate model/chipset. PCIe Gen3 and 2 ram slot limited, but adds 2nd x16 slot.

A520M PRO-C DASH

Last edited:

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Old-ish thread, but I'm looking at this board for almost the exact reasons you laid out. I just don't know if it supports PCI-E Bifurcation to chop up that PCI-E slot into x4/x4/x4/x4 which is what I'm trying to figure out. I asked on the MSI boards.

gregoinc

Apr 27, 2023
Also looked at the MSI B550 PRO-DASH (AM4) as it's an excellent board for the current prices. I am keen to go to a similar board in an ATX size, so any suggestions appreciated.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
YMMV but i had Asrock A520M-HDVP-DASH and DASH function was essentially useless on Linux barely supported maybe you could do more with Windows DASH client

ECC RAM support is also questionable you should verify it by overclocking your RAM