Mokerlink 10G080GS 8-port SFP+ unmanaged switch, anyone seen/have this?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Seems it was available on Amazon since Oct 2023, and it's always hovered around $150-160. I don't see any hands-on articles/videos from googling though, much less reviews. I'm trying to decide between this or the Mikrotik CRS309, but I don't need the managed capabilities, I'm just going to upgrade my simple network to 10GB and I've decided to go SFP+ wherever possible due to power consumption. So the CRS309 was measured to be 12W at idle, whereas a more equivalent TP-Link unmanaged switch was measured at only 3.1W which makes sense due to the extra features. Not a huge difference, but as I add more and more components that will be always on it adds up so I'm trying to save watts here and there.

Mokerlink seems to have 4 models of relatively inexpensive 8 port SFP+ 10Gb switches: 10G0800GS, 10G0800GSM, 10G080GS, 10G080GSM.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Mokerlink is just rebranding Hasivo switches, and possibly others too. If you look for the equivalent product on AliExpress instead you might have more luck. :)

Besides STH, you won't find many reviews of these Chinese switches though.

Reactions: tusk9541

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
My CRS309 idles at 6.8W with 4 SFP+ ports and 1 RJ45 active, so 12w idle is way off

If you read the article the Tplink got to 20-22w under load same as the Mikrotik

IMO the managed Mikrotik is well worth the extra money for future proofing your network (maybe flat stops being appealing with research) and also some "real" regulatory markings

Reactions: tusk9541

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
It appears from some Amazon comments that the 10G080GS (one zero) had some trouble with some types of connections, and the 10G0800GS seems newer, with a dip switch to select some modes manually. I will get that one on Monday.

My CRS309 idles at 6.8W with 4 SFP+ ports and 1 RJ45 active, so 12w idle is way off

If you read the article the Tplink got to 20-22w under load same as the Mikrotik

IMO the managed Mikrotik is well worth the extra money for future proofing your network (maybe flat stops being appealing with research) and also some "real" regulatory markings
Thanks for the info. Are you running RouterOS or SwitchOS? I already ordered the Mokerlink switch, I'll do some tests. I'm not taking load wattage into account too much cause the vast majority of the time it will be idling.

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Thanks for the info. Are you running RouterOS or SwitchOS? I already ordered the Mokerlink switch, I'll do some tests. I'm not taking load wattage into account too much cause the vast majority of the time it will be idling.
Im running RouterOS. Not that hard to manage via winbox

Exhaust8890

Nov 29, 2023
I didn't find the Hasivo version but I found a virtually identical Horaco one for substantially cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806038981360.html
I bought the Horaco 8-port and received it yesterday, don't recommend. Large delay, even hang-ups when the computers (Windows) are trying to access each other. Even when I was able to transfer files, sometimes it ain't getting near 10G (using RAMdisk to eliminate the potential SSD bottleneck). Used a DAC with the same issue. I had no issues when the computers are directly connected to each other (peer-to-peer).

My devices:

- Windows Server 2019 and (2) Windows Pro Workstation
- Mellanox ConnectX-2
- Mellanox Tranceivers using fiber

UPDATE: Lowering Jumbo Packets to the lowest on all NICs seems to improve things, no delay or hangups.
UPDATE 2: Deleted NIC and reinstalled drivers to restore its transfer speed.

Last edited:

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Yes, I was gonna post something similar after some testing. They may be the same switch. Enabling jumbo packets on my Synology DS1618+ breaks the connection. Also got the Mikrotik CRS309, and like @SlowmoDK said, the idle power is not much more, about maybe 5-6 W vs 4-5W, and less than 8 W with 2 10Gb DACs and 1 module running at 2.5 Gb. I am having some issues with SwOS though, where the switch becomes unreachable when I change its IP address from the default, but RouterOS works fine.

Reactions: Exhaust8890

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I am having some issues with SwOS though, where the switch becomes unreachable when I change its IP address from the default, but RouterOS works fine.
Use a bridged setup in routerOS and assign the ip in your management vlan...

with winbox even if you mess up something ip, you can still access switch via mac address, come very handy when playing around :)

Reactions: Exhaust8890

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Use a bridged setup in routerOS and assign the ip in your management vlan...

with winbox even if you mess up something ip, you can still access switch via mac address, come very handy when playing around :)
Yeah, RouterOS is working fine, but I was curious about SwOS and spent too many hours trying to get to the bottom of it, and had to factory reset the thing several times. The first and only thing I changed on RouterOS was to reboot to SwOS and there are 3 options to set the IP: DHCP with fallback (default), Static, or DHCP only. First I changed it to DHCP only and it wouldn't acquire the IP from my Opnsense router. Tried also setting the IP as static on SwOS but it was the same. I haven't tested enough to see if the subnet has anything to do with it (I'm using 10.1.1.0/24).

Some others seem to have had this issue in the past. Someone else here says that they were able to resolve it with an update to SwOS 2.12 but I had updated to 2.16 (latest). I'm gonna keep messing with it now that I know how to factory reset SwOS, which took longer to find than it should have. The reset button only resets RouterOS, SwOS needs a command line or I also found there's an option in RouterOS to change the IP of SwOS.

I was also getting the 0.0.0.0 issue they mention, and Winbox doesn't work with SwOS according to that first thread.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
I bought the Horaco 8-port and received it yesterday, don't recommend. Large delay, even hang-ups when the computers (Windows) are trying to access each other. Even when I was able to transfer files, sometimes it ain't getting near 10G (using RAMdisk to eliminate the potential SSD bottleneck). Used a DAC with the same issue. I had no issues when the computers are directly connected to each other (peer-to-peer).

My devices:

- Windows Server 2019 and (2) Windows Pro Workstation
- Mellanox ConnectX-2
- Mellanox Tranceivers using fiber

UPDATE: Lowering Jumbo Packets to the lowest on all NICs seems to improve things, no delay or hangups.
So, how it is going, full 10G speed? Will using MTU size of 1700 cause problems? That switch looks good and cheap. Which modules are you using?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
So, how it is going, full 10G speed? Will using MTU size of 1700 cause problems? That switch looks good and cheap. Which modules are you using?
Any MTU size above 1500 is technically considered jumbo frames if I'm not mistaken. So yes, I would expect an MTU size of 1700 to cause problems. Buy another switch if that's a requirement. :)

Reactions: casulo

Exhaust8890

Nov 29, 2023
Besides the Jumbo Packet issues, everything seems to be working fine. Realized, the low transfer rate was due to the computer, had to delete the NIC and reinstall the drivers. On a different computer, during Internet speed tests, I was only getting 850Mbps on my 1G line. Deleted NIC and reinstalled drivers and now back to its full potential (~940Mbps) (Updated my original post)

Using Mellanox MFM1T02A-SR.

On the item page, it says the Horaco will be $86.44 on March 18th.

Last edited:

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Ok, so jumbo frames cause problems, even tough they advertise supporting them:
Check images down the page and the specifications tab.

There is a managed version, which i'm interested in due to link aggregation (does it support?). It seems to support 16k frames instead of 12k of the unmanaged version.

Sells on amazon, so easy to return if problems arise.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Those are different switches though, they're 2.5G x 8 + 10G SFP+. Mokerlink sells 4 different versions of the 8 x SFP+ (linked in the OP), only one of them has been tested in this thread, the unmanaged one with DIP switch (10G0800GS) which I got, and the Horaco one which appears to be the same. There's another unmanaged one (10G080GS) which Amazon reviewers point to other issues with some modules and the LEDs, and 2 managed ones whose difference seems to be 2.5G support.

Last edited:

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Kinda a side discussion, but is jumbo frames even worth the hassle with modern pc's / servers ?
I did some quick tests with iperf3 between my Synology 1618+ and my Win 11 PC (AMD X570 platform with Ryzen 9 5900x), both with Intel X520-DA1 cards, and from the PC. Without jumbo frames it was fluctuating between 6 - 9.40 Gbits/s for uploads, downloads were a bit faster, and with jumbo frames enabled it basically maxes out at 9.91 Gb/s both ways. I don't have enough disks or SSD cache to test by real world file copying though.

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
I did some quick tests with iperf3 between my Synology 1618+ and my Win 11 PC (AMD X570 platform with Ryzen 9 5900x), both with Intel X520-DA1 cards, and from the PC. Without jumbo frames it was fluctuating between 6 - 9.40 Gbits/s for uploads, downloads were a bit faster, and with jumbo frames enabled it basically maxes out at 9.91 Gb/s both ways. I don't have enough disks or SSD cache to test by real world file copying though.
Interesting. Last night for giggles I put each of my Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx in 2 different PC's running Debian 12 and connected them directly using a SFP28 AOC cable. I did no special configuration, and standard 1500 MTU. Using iperf3, I was pulling consist 23.5gb between the machines. I then setup a NFS share on one of the boxes, and had it export a ram drive. From my NFS server to the client machine (also using a ram drive as the copy destination), I was able to hit north of 21GB/sec copying a bunch of ISO files.

20240316_205153.jpg

I've got a pair of X520's coming tomorrow, I'll repeat the test using them, and I'll try both MTU1500 and 9000, and see what if any difference I get. I'll start a new thread with my results so I don't fill this one up :)

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I suppose there's several variables that could be affecting my results, probably the Synology which has older hardware. I don't have another powerful computer to test.