Modded Rackable Systems S3012 case

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by fl0w, Jun 18, 2018.

1. fl0w

fl0w New Member

Hi,
    Until now I was using a LackRack at home and I wanted to switch to a more compact steel rack with only rack mountable devices. In the LackRack I was using a classic ATX tower with 3 Supermicro 5 hot-swap bays. The major issue with rack mountable servers is the depth, so I checked if short depth server cases with only hot-swap bays exist. I found the Rackable Systems S3012 which is 39cm deep, perfect for a studio rack like a Samson SRK8.
    I found a S3012 on eBay for 160€, and resold the mainboard, CPU and RAM (Opteron). The S3012 case has 2 problems: the mainboard backplate is directly cut for the original mainboard, and cooling is limited to 3 80mm fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A friend offered me to modify the case to fit 120mm fans, an SFX PSU and the mainboard. I ordered a watercooling 360mm fan grill to fix the fans and keep the case rigid.

[​IMG]
    First, he made a drawing with the dimensions to prepare the cutting.

[​IMG]
    Then he drew the cutting areas directly on the case.

[​IMG]
    After cutting

[​IMG]
    Then he drilled the holes for the fans and PSU mounting.

[​IMG]
    Watercooling grill cutting

[​IMG]
    With fans and PSU mounted

[​IMG]
    Inside the case

[​IMG]
    After the backplate support cutting

[​IMG]
    Backplate cutting

[​IMG]
    With the backplate mounted on the server

[​IMG]
    On my side, I wanted to keep the LCD screen mounted on the case, but the screen is powered with a specific connector plugged on the "always-on" 5V ATX output of the PSU. So I managed to solder the connector on an ATX extension cable.

[​IMG]
    The backplanes are powered with a specific 4 pins connectors, I also managed to solder the connectors to Molex connectors.

[​IMG]
    Now let's assemble the server

[​IMG]
    Mounting the mainboard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Backplane mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The server config:
    • Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Intel Xeon D-1518, 2 SFP+, 16 SATA/SAS port with LSI 2116)
    • bequiet! SFX-L Power 600W
    • 12 2TB hard drives (mixed between WD Green, Blue and Hitachi 7200RPM)
    • 2x2TB 2.5" Seagate
    • 2x240GB SanDisk SSD
    One issue remaining: I ordered a heatsink with fan from Supermicro and another one from Cooljag to avoid the CPU from getting too hot. But CPU is still getting hot, so I'm thinking about replacing heatsink with an AiO watercooling kit.
    Hope you liked it!

Spotswood, Tha_14, leebo_28 and 7 others like this.
  2. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Lovin' this. What about thermal tape on the CPU heatsink and using something bigger? Maybe an Intel consumer desktop radial fan thing?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. maze

maze Active Member

Have you tried putting a fan on the cooljag?

I'v got a simular setup and after I put on a 40mm noctua fan on the cooljag copper heatsink temp went from like 80C to ~45C.. 55 under load.

4. fl0w

fl0w New Member

I changed the fan with an Evercool 60mm PWM fan, but still between 60 and 70°C. Anyway I'm going to receive the watercooling parts soon, I'll test it during August.