Mirror: Storage Spaces, AMD 400 series RAID Performance

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by hoankiem, Sep 13, 2018.

1. hoankiem

hoankiem New Member

I'm completing out my new Ryzen 2 build, and will be picking up 2x 8TB drive drives sometime this week. As my storage strategy will be shifting to local/DAS storage to FreeNAS sometime soon, I'm considering mirroring my local bulk storage drives. It will be mirrored only.

Does anyone have experience with Storage Spaces mirrors? Is the performance really that bad? If I were to take out a drive, or a drive fails, the remaining drive should work fine independently in another system right?

I'm also curious about the RAID implementation on the AMD 400 series chipset. AFAIK, when using RAID here, SMART and probes (temperature, etc) will no longer be exposed? If anyone has tried this, how is the performance?

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

In my tests (server 2012 r2 & server 2016 TP4/5) mirror spaces had good performance compared to parity spaces.