Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
this is s-tui running a Stress test:

image-2.pngimage-3.png

As you can see on the lower left corner, power consumption is not so abnormal.

I'll do some more test and then send back the unit to Amazon, it's clearly faulty.

Reactions: SBMe

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So was able to test with all E cores enabled, and just 1 P cores enabled (it's not possible to disable all P cores) and no issue here.
Really strange.

Now I'm going back to test with all cores enabled and see what it happens
Your observation makes me wonder if this could potentially be power supply related issue.

Under heavy load, it could very well be transient event causing kernel panic and can't be measured easily and not certainly with home KillAWattt meter. One way to rule out is using beefier power supply, say 250-300W. I'm not sure if BIOS is capable of lowering the CPU frequency, that's another way to constraint power requirement while using the existing PSU.

stich86

May 24, 2023
I updatet to latest kernel, latest microcode. To test right now I'm using this script:

Code:
wget -qO- yabs.sh | bash
You can remove the network tests running this:
Code:
wget -qO- yabs.sh | bash -s -- -n -i
My MS-01 crashed on:

Running GB6 benchmark test... *cue elevator music*client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe
i did all your bench links on my unit and all went fine.
No panic or restart. I've done directly on the hypervisor, not into a VM

Last edited:
Reactions: SBMe and nicoska

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Patrick - if you have a connection with Minisforum - and can influence this product - for future reference I think this product needs the following improvements:

- I would like to see Wifi 7 attached to external SMA connectors mounted to the chassis. I purchased a UM790 Pro, and man the way they route the internal antennas is terrible. From your review it looks like they at least route the antennas to the outside - but I would like to add external antennas to improve the signal strength.

- I saw a company that developed a stackable frame solution for future expansion. If you need to add different expansions - larger fans - additional networking expansions - you can modify the stackable frame - and then attach to the base computer. I thought this was clever design. something like this:

re_computer case: Stackable Middle Frame | Seeed Studio SS110991404 | Core Electronics Australia (core-electronics.com.au)

- As you stated in your review - you may want to add a larger external PS if you add power hungry PCIE expansion cards - I think Minisforum should have options to upgrade the PS during configuration setup. I also believe you said something to the fact there is no power connector internally to supply direct power to some PCIE cards - this would be nice to have as well.

- I think the HDMI should be at least 2.1 and not 2.0. The UM970 has 2X HDMI 2.1.

SBMe

Nov 26, 2023
- I saw a company that developed a stackable frame solution for future expansion. If you need to add different expansions - larger fans - additional networking expansions - you can modify the stackable frame - and then attach to the base computer. I thought this was clever design. something like this:

re_computer case: Stackable Middle Frame | Seeed Studio SS110991404 | Core Electronics Australia (core-electronics.com.au)
Wow, this would be such a game changer for so many SFF PC's.

I purchased the CWWK i3-1315U I think & I put a fan on the bottom of it. Never, ever again. I actually just saw someone make an USFF PC on his 3D printer and it turned out really good, well the 2nd time. He's going to upload the data for everyone. Their's looks very professional as I'm sure Minisforum's would also be in some months before they release. Aluminum is nice and all but I'd much rather have the option to add two more 2.5" SSD's and or at the same time a little bit bigger CPU cooler. All while you said stack them.
Excellent find.

Reactions: cesmith9999

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Wow, this would be such a game changer for so many SFF PC's.

I purchased the CWWK i3-1315U I think & I put a fan on the bottom of it. Never, ever again. I actually just saw someone make an USFF PC on his 3D printer and it turned out really good, well the 2nd time. He's going to upload the data for everyone. Their's looks very professional as I'm sure Minisforum's would also be in some months before they release. Aluminum is nice and all but I'd much rather have the option to add two more 2.5" SSD's and or at the same time a little bit bigger CPU cooler. All while you said stack them.
Excellent find.
Yeah I think is a cool setup for these Mini computers - want to add a fan - and a frame - add ethernet ports - and a frame - attach maybe a 3.5" SSD - add a frame.

Reactions: SBMe

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
Patrick - if you have a connection with Minisforum - and can influence this product - for future reference I think this product needs the following improvements:

- I would like to see Wifi 7 attached to external SMA connectors mounted to the chassis. I purchased a UM790 Pro, and man the way they route the internal antennas is terrible. From your review it looks like they at least route the antennas to the outside - but I would like to add external antennas to improve the signal strength.

- As you stated in your review - you may want to add a larger external PS if you add power hungry PCIE expansion cards - I think Minisforum should have options to upgrade the PS during configuration setup. I also believe you said something to the fact there is no power connector internally to supply direct power to some PCIE cards - this would be nice to have as well.

- I think the HDMI should be at least 2.1 and not 2.0. The UM970 has 2X HDMI 2.1.
Well, while we're on the subject of improvements...

Rather than the somewhat odd layout that exists now for storage, I'd much prefer twin slots of the same spec, even if this means fewer LAN connections, as long as there was at least one 10GbE (pref SPF+, but an RJ poet would work too).

SDLeary

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
Newbie here, joined because of the review
Has anyone experience of the 13900H model? I understand that the 12900H has 28 PCIe lanes, whilst the 13900H has 20 - 8 fewer
Is this the case, and what impact does this have on the higher end MS-01? What, if anything, is lost?

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
Newbie here, joined because of the review
Has anyone experience of the 13900H model? I understand that the 12900H has 28 PCIe lanes, whilst the 13900H has 20 - 8 fewer
Is this the case, and what impact does this have on the higher end MS-01? What, if anything, is lost?
Where did you read that?
12900H is actually exactly the same die, bar some better binning
Both have 28 lanes but of course not all are the same
(8 5.0 for GPU, 2 4.0 for M.2, and some are reserved for TB)

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
i9-13900K, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Order placed Thu 28
Courier booking Mon 01 Apr
Fedex pickup confirmed this morning 02 Apr
Delivery to UK and subsequent customs clearance can be hit and miss.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
i9-13900K, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Order placed Thu 28
Courier booking Mon 01 Apr
Fedex pickup confirmed this morning 02 Apr
Delivery to UK and subsequent customs clearance can be hit and miss.
Wait you ordered March 28th and got a shipping response April 01????? I ordered early March and haven't heard jack from company since then!!!! Do I have to send them an email to get them off their arse? Seems bizarre way to handle orders.

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
They stated that orders placed after Feb 26th would ship end of Apr. However, they updated the page with a note the 13900H model was in stock and orders for that would ship immediately. So i ordered.
According to Fedex they have the package and are arranging shipping... now this doesnt quite add up, but maybe its being sent economy

Fwiler

Sep 5, 2017
Intel anything less than server or even Xeon E never supported bifurcation and it absolutely won't here
I have several consumer Intel motherboards that have dual m.2 on the first slot 8 x 8 and one that will do 4 x 4 x 8.
This is straight bifurcation without a switching chip.

Not saying this unit will but to state that it absolutely won't because it's a consumer product wouldn't be true.

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
Well, Im not too hopeful. The FedEx txt stated it would be delivered 04/04. Fedex tracker shows its still in HK and not yet shipped!

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
I have several consumer Intel motherboards that have dual m.2 on the first slot 8 x 8 and one that will do 4 x 4 x 8.
This is straight bifurcation without a switching chip.

Not saying this unit will but to state that it absolutely won't because it's a consumer product wouldn't be true.
That's because it isn't the CPU itself, if you looked hard enough upper tier Z series boards have bifurcation without CPU support either, because there are chips on the board to handle bifurcation.
However, they will not split into 4 x4. The root hubs minimum splits into x8/x8

OTOH if you are talking about X299... that's not consumer

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
Well, Im not too hopeful. The FedEx txt stated it would be delivered 04/04. Fedex tracker shows its still in HK and not yet shipped!
Its now at Lantau, and suggests will be with me between 09.00 and 13,00 Tues 09/04. Fingers crossed!

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
Wondering about thoughts on the 13900 vs 12900?

From what I can see, the notable differences are slightly higher cpu/gpu frequencies, increased L2 cache, higher DRAM frequencies and PCIe 5.0 vs 4.0?

So faster, but not massively, and certainly not matching the 22% increase in cost. Anything I'm missing in my comparison?