Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
I have 3 22110 ssd.
How can you throw one 22110 in the u2 port?
For the others you can remove spacers screws corresponding to 2280 but not for this one.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Success!!!! i managed to passthrough an nvidia 730 and the !!!!onboard usb3 controller to a Windows 10vm succsesfully with 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 17499825)

It appeared that the VM wasn't needed nothing in the advanced configuration of it. So far i had always the advanced setting

Code:
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"
and i was adding extra settings to make it work, well i removed everything and worked fine.

The other success that i had is the USB3, i simply stambled across this guy here

and in the file /etc/vmware/passthru.map i just added this line after i did an a lspci -v where i saw that the 4th usb controller was the USB3.2 that i needed

Code:
0000:00:0d.0 Serial bus controller USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 461e
         Class 0c03: 8086:461e

0000:00:0d.2 Serial bus controller USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 463e
         Class 0c03: 8086:463e

0000:00:0d.3 Serial bus controller USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 466d
         Class 0c03: 8086:466d

0000:00:14.0 Serial bus controller USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 51ed
         Class 0c03: 8086:51ed
so in that passthru.map i added in the end this

Code:
# Onboard USB3
8086  51ed  d3d0     default
and esxi saw it and i was able to pass this controller so i dont need the m2 to USB3 controller from renesas to have usb3 in the vm.

I am pretty happy at last ....

Edit: I forgot to mention that in the bios i have the GPU setting to iGPU

Last edited:

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
FYI just tried and i did update the esxi 6.7 to 8.0U2b and the USB3 controller is not working with passthrough to the VM, the Nvidia card still works fine, so if anyone like me wants to use esxi and get the onboard USB3 controller, stick to 6.7
I will try and the 7 versions soon.

Reactions: pimposh

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
If someone has problems with network/throughput, try to disable the NICs ASPM in the BIOS (advanced, onboard, pcie suboptions).
I had the problem that my SMB share speed fluctuated quite a bit, no constant full speed. After turning aspm for the NIC to disable, everything works well.
May also be related to the package drop issue someone mentioned here

Reactions: Phibs

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
If someone has problems with network/throughput, try to disable the NICs ASPM in the BIOS (advanced, onboard, pcie suboptions).
I had the problem that my SMB share speed fluctuated quite a bit, no constant full speed. After turning aspm for the NIC to disable, everything works well.
May also be related to the package drop issue someone mentioned here
I still have some random network issues I could give it a try

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
I still have some random network issues I could give it a try
Also, the management port 229-lm, next to sfp) has problems when vpro in the bios is enabled.
In my case I used it as Lan port in OPNsense (proxmox), but DHCP wasn't working, when using the other port, no problems at all. Seems like there is somewhere an ongoing bug report about this issue (intel issue).

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
Also, the management port 229-lm, next to sfp) has problems when vpro in the bios is enabled.
In my case I used it as Lan port in OPNsense (proxmox), but DHCP wasn't working, when using the other port, no problems at all. Seems like there is somewhere an ongoing bug report about this issue (intel issue).
i'm not able to change ASPM for 10G NICs only 2.5gbe
i really hope they will release a BIOS update to fix some of these issues, it's downright annoying.

the 10 gbe nics work great bonded for a while and then just splat even without a bond it ends up failing eventually

it was worth a shot though, thanks

Last edited:

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
My sfp+ is not connected, so I can not check. To be sure: you found the aspm entry? Was it greyed out or only auto as choice available?

heromode

May 25, 2020
just lurking here, not a MS-01 owner, but ASPM=evil, and regardless of BIOS you can (and should) disable it for all pcie devices with kernel option pcie_aspm=off

edit: aspm just stops the timing clock or something when there is no data traffic, and don't worry about power usage when it's disabled, it's maybe 1-2 watts at most, more likely in the order of 0.2 watts or something.. but it can cause all kinds of issues like above, so it's best to just disable it for good, to avoid having to always wonder when there are issues. It can and will cause all kinds of problems when enabled, as different chips and manufacturers and drivers and mobo's etc must all be perfectly tuned for compatibility for it to really work, a situation that's impossible to achieve currently.

Last edited:

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
ASPM can have quite some impact on performance, but when luckily and you good the right configuration, it can save quite some energy.

Small test:
One 2.5gb, 4ssd, 64gb ram, 13900h
ASPM off - 24W in idle
ASPM auto except 2.5gb - 13W in idle
Speed is still more than amazing in this config

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
i'm going to see if the 2.5g nic is stable enough to last a day...
if that doesn't slice it, i'll set aspm forced to off in grub

heromode

May 25, 2020
ASPM can have quite some impact on performance, but when luckily and you good the right configuration, it can save quite some energy.

Small test:
One 2.5gb, 4ssd, 64gb ram, 13900h
ASPM off - 24W in idle
ASPM auto except 2.5gb - 13W in idle
Speed is still more than amazing in this config
i might be wrong then, i've read the savings are really small.. hmm

I do remember intel saying enable ASPM for the ARC cards.. so maybe SSD's use ASPM to sleep, and that saves lots of power..

but definitely not good for nic's. I remember it used to flood my console with AER messages from the nic on one system..

Reactions: Phibs

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
I'm absolutely agreeing with not being good for NICs. But for my 4 ssds it really helps. Same for GPU if supported.
As for the NIC(2.5gb), turning off ASPM increased the power by around 1W, not worth it at all.

heromode

May 25, 2020
i'm not able to change ASPM for 10G NICs only 2.5gbe
i really hope they will really a BIOS update to fix some of these issues, it's downright annoying.

the 10 gbe nics work great bonded for a while and then just splat even without a bond it ends up failing eventually

it was worth a shot though, thanks
Here i would also try enabling flow control on switch ports, nic ports, or both.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
No problems what so ever with the 10gb nics and esxi 6.7 here.. im melting the box since yesterday night with test copies from lan just to see if it will crash and its rock solid.

Whitecitadel

Feb 13, 2018
Anybody who ordered direct got their's yet?

In the UK seems best option/price is to order from their website, but unclear if they have stock (banner says ships in April for orders after February?) - also wondering if they are shipping direct from Hong Kong or they have local hub, using Amazon, etc?

Looks great option to replace mATX home server, as the sumermicro IPMI video seems to be failing on the board (and its big and I want to downsize, and get 10GbE to my storage)

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
Anybody who ordered direct got their's yet?

In the UK seems best option/price is to order from their website, but unclear if they have stock (banner says ships in April for orders after February?) - also wondering if they are shipping direct from Hong Kong or they have local hub, using Amazon, etc?

Looks great option to replace mATX home server, as the sumermicro IPMI video seems to be failing on the board (and its big and I want to downsize, and get 10GbE to my storage)
I think everything is backordered now except for Aliexpress and a $1000 price tag. There is no inventory on Amazon which there would be if they have stock.