Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Yeah, I've been looking at the R86S with the N100, which is available for about the same price. This is significantly more compelling, even if the box isn't destined to be much more than a router.

Reactions: KingKaido

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, I've been looking at the R86S with the N100, which is available for about the same price. This is significantly more compelling, even if the box isn't destined to be much more than a router.
Keep in mind power usage will be different if that matters to you, but this is way more capable if you want to do ids, or high speed vpn. Especially for 1+ gbps wan

Reactions: KingKaido

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I took the dive, I just literally ordered everything to build a new firewall for PFSense
Dell R210ii
10gb PCI Nic

Saw this looking all tiny and cute with build in 10gb SFP+ and the fact it probably uses less power while having 6x more processing power than my Xeon E3 1230 v2 and decided to get one.

My current build R10ii has identical specs and doesnt even break a sweat with 1gb WAN so I feel like it probably would handle 5gb WAN just fine, but I am looking to reduce overhread with heat/power and don't want any complications with processing power so got one of these with the 12900H since they said "on sale"

The cost of the server and the NIC was not that much cheaper than this, but now of course I have an extra server with no purpose in life.

The one thing I was really not willing to give up was remote management, but I saw it has that too so thats when I purchased.

As far as keeping on topic for this thread, I'll be sure to try out the various NICs I had purchased for the R210ii and see what works in here and post back once it all arrives.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Has anyone installed Opnsense on the MS-101 and if so was it able to find all the drivers.
Mine is sleighted for PFSense when it gets here, I am not sure how similar they are. If anything I imagine OpenSense would have more drivers and better compatibility as they dont sell in house hardware.

So for sure I'll say if it works for PFSense. Just gotta play the waiting game.

Reactions: johnnymac

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Do you mean this?

Dimensions & Weight / Depth16.8 cm
Dimensions & Weight / Height6.9 cm
I really wonder if that is even needed with such a strong cpu? I mean I am only running my own personal VPN but I am doing it off much lesser hardware and dont even use 5% of my CPU for a 1gb WAN, this CPU is 5x stronger than what I have now.

So I guess if your doing SMB VPN with lots of users maybe? I have never used one to be honest, but I am betting this device handles my incomming and outbound vpn stock for 5gb WAN.

johnnymac

Jan 23, 2024
Mine is sleighted for PFSense when it gets here, I am not sure how similar they are. If anything I imagine OpenSense would have more drivers and better compatibility as they dont sell in house hardware.

So for sure I'll say if it works for PFSense. Just gotta play the waiting game.
Awesome, let me know how it works if you get it soon. I ordered mine two weeks ago and the shipping date is March 2024

Elzeard

Jan 16, 2024
Hi !

I didn't received yet the pc but I have a question.

I don't need Wifi for the MS-01 and i would like to use Wifi port with a SSD to install proxmox. Adapter exists.
Is there a way to find wifi port bandwith ?

On mini pc like Optiplex 3060, it's limited to 500MB

Thanks

Zagor64

Jan 24, 2024
Awesome, let me know how it works if you get it soon. I ordered mine two weeks ago and the shipping date is March 2024
How did you find out about the shipping date of March 2024? I also ordered about two weeks ago (Jan 13th) when the shipping date was being advertised as the 20th of Jan..a couple of days later I got an email from them saying that due to busy season it would be an additional 3-5 days but no mention of an actual time frame. Still waiting but if it gets delayed to March I will cancel but also don't see any way to do that and they have already charged my CC when first ordered.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
How did you find out about the shipping date of March 2024? I also ordered about two weeks ago (Jan 13th) when the shipping date was being advertised as the 20th of Jan..a couple of days later I got an email from them saying that due to busy season it would be an additional 3-5 days but no mention of an actual time frame. Still waiting but if it gets delayed to March I will cancel but also don't see any way to do that and they have already charged my CC when first ordered.
I've emailed them about this. I got an automated response, then a non answer response. I followed up with 2 more emails trying to use very concise language that a translation app is unlikely to mess up, unfortunately they've been radio silent and have not replied back. Sadly I know that's just the way it is with small Chinese companies. Most of the time they inore you or dgaf.

Zagor64

Jan 24, 2024
I've emailed them about this. I got an automated response, then a non answer response. I followed up with 2 more emails trying to use very concise language that a translation app is unlikely to mess up, unfortunately they've been radio silent and have not replied back. Sadly I know that's just the way it is with small Chinese companies. Most of the time they inore you or dgaf.
Thanks for the info. That was my number one fear and why I almost didn't order. I already bought the RAM and its return window is middle of Feb. If it doesn't ship by then I will return it and try to cancel the order.

DataX

Jun 16, 2023
Hey All! Been following STH for a bit, but pretty new to the forum. Just wanted to jump in on the MS-01 hype, got mine a few days ago but haven't even been able to boot the damn thing since I'm still waiting on the 2x48GB RAM kit which isn't arriving until next week. T_T

I got this system to replace a couple of aging, power hungry hosts in my homelab and hopefully it'll replace the main storage host as well. The plan is to use the PCIe slot for an LSI 9206-16e HBA to attach a pair of MD1200 DAS units via SFF-8644/SFF-8088 cables going into a rack mount enclosure. Can't imagine the card wouldn't work, these HBA's seem to very well supported but I'll report back once I get a chance to get it up and running. Along with a few other pieces of equipment this system is allowing me to remove, I'm looking at something like a 700-800W power draw reduction for my homelab which I figure means this system will pay by for itself and break even within a year or so lol.

Not 100% sure what OS I'll be running on it, but I'll probably start off with XigmaNAS since that's what my storage host runs at the moment. Might be able to answer some of the pfSense/OPNsense questions since it's also FreeBSD based.

So far very impressed with the hardware though the PCIe retention mechanism is a PITA to work with which I think Patrick mentioned in the review. The HBA was a really tight fit, but the retention mechanism needlessly obstructs the slot opening which made it physically impossible to slot the card in without removing the PCIe bracket from the card and then screwing it back on once the card was slotted in.

Attachments

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
I can confirm that Kingston Fury 64GB 5600 MHz works on MS-01

However, keep in mind it runs at 5200 MHz

I tried to install Google Coral Dual TPU in Wi-Fi slot (E Key), doesn't seem to be detected.
The B+M NVMe slot was detected however.
Also, running both SFP+ as bond works, in case someone else hasn't tried it.

```
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v6.1.0-17-amd64

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 400
Down Delay (ms): 200
Peer Notification Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info
LACP active: on
LACP rate: slow
Min links: 0
Aggregator selection policy (ad_select): stable

Slave Interface: enp2s0f1
Speed: 10000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr:<redacted>
Slave queue ID: 0
Aggregator ID: 1
Actor Churn State: none
Partner Churn State: none
Actor Churned Count: 0
Partner Churned Count: 0

Slave Interface: enp2s0f0
Speed: 10000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: <redacted>
Slave queue ID: 0
Aggregator ID: 1
Actor Churn State: none
Partner Churn State: none
Actor Churned Count: 0
Partner Churned Count: 0
```

Last edited:

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024

Looks like A+E key wifi card in there, so the single coral should work. Looks like the slot is E-key. I have no need for wifi so I'll be putting my spare coral card in.

Whether it has 2 lanes or not, will have to check. E-key spec says x2 lanes.
Did this work out for you?
I'm on debian 12 i can't see the PCI device

Reactions: Elzeard

twyx

Jan 25, 2024
https://a.co/d/hJcnYea Mushkin Redline 96GB (2x48GB) DDR5 Laptop 5200 CL40 262-pin 1.1V Dual Channel MHz SODIMM RAM Memory Kit MRA5S520HHHD48GX2

This did not work for me on 13th gen. Weird since it's same Mushkin Redline series.
I've ordered the 5600 kit and we'll see what happens.

*edit* (01-29-2024)
Confirmed the 5600 kit works and the 5200 do not.

Last edited: