Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chi-TownWarrior

Feb 22, 2016
VPRO Enabled on I226-LM RJ45 Port(the rj45 next to SFP+)

Due to spec of this card(https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-2M2.pdf), There is no any pcie swtich chip on this card. So it's not supported.
Because of Intel's PCIE Line Limit, The Pcie solt cannot split.
So does that mean one of these would work?

Sebo

Jan 14, 2024
Hi! Has anyone empirically confirmed that SFP+ NICs are unlocked and do not require SFP+ modules from Intel / programmed specifically for Intel?

Aug 20, 2023
Hi! Has anyone empirically confirmed that SFP+ NICs are unlocked and do not require SFP+ modules from Intel / programmed specifically for Intel?
Never had an issue with X710 and generic 10G modules, also never had issue with 10G DAC's (Cisco, HP, Generic, etc etc)..
You should be fine...

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
So it seems like one should be able to put 5 NVMe drives (with the card linked by @Chi-TownWarrior) and with PCIe 3.0 they should all have enough bandwidth to fill up 10 GBit ethernet connection. That would mean I could replace my complete home server (incl NAS) with it as soon as 4TB or 8 TB go further down in price.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Samsung MZQL215THBLA-00A07 - 15.36TB SSD U.2 NVMe 2.5-inch 7mm PM9A3 PCIe 4.0 x4 - just in case a person was wondering what that part number is. NewEgg has one for $1100ish from a one review third party. AcmeMicro will order as many as you like for $1200ish (no returns/special order).

I just need 3 more of them and a new credit card before I can finish my new cluster. Whisparr here I come!

Last edited:
Reactions: nicoska

markconstable

Oct 1, 2022
Passthrough of the iGPU is largely not needed thanks to virtio-gl. In fact, it's better since you can give it to every VM on the host.

Unless you want it for quick sync, in which case... I can find out once I get mine.
I've tried virtio-gl with a couple of Linux desktop VMs, and it's still laggy with tearing. For a daily-driver Plasma/Wayland desktop experience, I really need to get full iGPU passthrough to work. I got so desperate for a spare desktop computer that I ended up installing kde-plasma-desktop directly onto a Miniforum UM780 Proxmox host node.

So I, for one, would be super interested to know if you ever get full passthrough to work on the MS-01 :)

NigelRen

Jan 15, 2024
Mine is due for delivery next Monday, managed to get a bare bones 13900. Was wondering about the SSD - I have a Crucial P5 Plus but was wondering if it's worth investing in a T500 SSD instead.
(Or if there are any other recommendations for a drive and if it's worth the getting a new one).

sandyman

Jan 19, 2024
Mine is due for delivery next Monday, managed to get a bare bones 13900. Was wondering about the SSD - I have a Crucial P5 Plus but was wondering if it's worth investing in a T500 SSD instead.
(Or if there are any other recommendations for a drive and if it's worth the getting a new one).
I too, am curious about SSD compatibility. The Minisforum website specifies only M.2 SSDs up to 2TB. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that this was due to the need for single-sided drive, but as far as I know there are 4TB single-sided SSDs available.

Does anyone smarter than me know what this may be due to?

welcometors

Jan 16, 2024
I too, am curious about SSD compatibility. The Minisforum website specifies only M.2 SSDs up to 2TB. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that this was due to the need for single-sided drive, but as far as I know there are 4TB single-sided SSDs available.

Does anyone smarter than me know what this may be due to?
For higher capacity (and virtualisation) it's better to go for enterprise SSDs (can get it cheaper from ebay). @JaxJiang mentioned earlier that it can fit 3.8TB 22110 M.2 SSDs like PM983.

welcometors

Jan 16, 2024
I want to use U.2 drive for running proxmox and VMs and use 4 M.2 22110 NVME SSDs in zfs raid 1 for storage (2 in-build + 2 from pcie card).

Can someone suggest PCIe card that fits Dual NVME 22110 SSDs like this (https://amzn.eu/d/a5V0SnS) and works?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023
I want to use U.2 drive for running proxmox and VMs and use 4 M.2 22110 NVME SSDs in zfs raid 1 for storage (2 in-build + 2 from pcie card).

Can someone suggest PCIe card that fits Dual NVME 22110 SSDs like this (https://amzn.eu/d/a5V0SnS) and works?
Your.gonna need something that has an Asmedia pcie switch chip on the pcie card as the x8 lanes don't support bifurification. There are loads on Amazon, just make sure to choose one that doesn't need external power. Hopefully Asmedia will soon bring out pcie 4.0 switch chip.

MetalPhreak

Jan 19, 2024
What was the issue with the QNAP card in the video? I'm planning on pairing one of these MS-01 with a QNAP 16 bay TL series expansion unit, that comes with a qnap pci-e card. It has 4x ASMEDIA 1164 4 port SATA controllers on it (and hopefully a pci-e switch). Otherwise my backup plan is an LSI 9400-16e which has a single SAS3216 controller instead of 2x SAS3008s with a swith chip.

A couple of M.2 mirrored for VMs, a U.2 for high volume temporary data use, and 20gb link hooked up to the storage vm . If it all works out should be a sweet little all-in-one home server.

Side Note: I ordered when it said preorder for 15 March but got a shipping notice yesterday, so I guess I got an allocation from the first batch? :)