Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HQuest

Jan 6, 2024
I assume I'll be able to select P vs E core in CPU affinity, if I decide to have some small VMs running on E-Cores to keep P-cores for other heavy workloads?
I don't remember on vSphere/vCenter if you can select specific cores for your VMs. On a pure ESXi (right now at 8.0u2), no, you can't. But I have noticed most of my heavy hitters VM automatically shifted to P-cores (0-3) after a while of hard work, while my lower, idling VMs remains most on the E-cores (4-11).
In my experience, even with commands mentioned by @HQuest you will still get PSOD. Only way I managed to get ESXI stable over long periods of time is with Ecores disabled.
The PSOD is caused by MSR faults. While I've been running a 13th gen machine for relatively short amount of time (under a year), I'm yet to see any PSOD since when I added the ignoreMsrFaults flag to the ESXi in or around May 2023.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
I have the NPB6 barebone and it runs 96Gb DDR5 @4800 just fine, uptime is over 3 months now.

I ordered the MS-01 barebone last week, hopefully it can do the same.

@Patrick would love for you to share the bifurification settings in the bios and any other useful bios settings.
I have some Minis Forum mini's in my collection, and I got the UM690 on its release day. If you read through their support forums (if they still exist) you will see the comments made on DDR speeds and various brands.

I asked Minis Forum point blank if the MS or BD boards would support bifurcation. Didn't get an answer. I believe a new BD user said no.

They don't do CES, and normally I am there right now, but so many vendors pulled out this year, I didn't go. Just not worth it.

Wait for Compex I guess and make the flight to Taipei.

jhbball2002

Jan 10, 2024
Any clever ways to make a RTX 4000 SFF fit into this thing? Or A2000 non-mobile? So close to being perfect.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
Any clever ways to make a RTX 4000 SFF fit into this thing? Or A2000 non-mobile? So close to being perfect.
Be warned, this system is designed to power the gpu via the slot voltage. That means increased heat generation in the VRM area of the planar which the system might not be able to evacuate.

This system is a balance between power, heat and size. When you make a major change to one of those legs, the system loses its balance and tips over.

Reactions: Patrick

Edwinem

Jan 10, 2024
I Ryzen version would be perfect. I just love how easy is to tweak power consumption with those and adjust it to what you really need. Even If I have to lose TB4 for it. I would just buy it and figure out the details later :D

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
I Ryzen version would be perfect. I just love how easy is to tweak power consumption with those and adjust it to what you really need. Even If I have to lose TB4 for it. I would just buy it and figure out the details later :D
Minis Forum has been using an AMD based USB4 controller with their Ryzen PC's that can supply 16 lanes of PCIe Gen 4. Every TB3 dock I have tested thus far (Intel Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge) have worked with this AMD controller and its tunneling with no issues.

The only one I haven't tested is the Intel Goshen Ridge (JHL8440) which is a TB4/USB4 controller.

+ Thunderbolt™/USB4 peripheral support at 40G
+ Native USB Type-C interface capabilities: USB2, USB3 (10G), DP1.4 Alt-mode
+ Tunneling capabilities (32G PCIe, USB3(10G), 2 displays (up to DP1.4)
+ Other native interfaces: x1 PCIe 8GT/s, 1x USB3 (10G)

Reactions: OJO360
Has anybody tested Intel QuickAssist cards in this system? This may well be the router hardware I've been waiting for, but I need to nail up IPSec tunnels and for me to buy that system, I'd like to know which Intel QuickAssist cards have been tested to work in that system. Any takers?

Aug 20, 2023
So the RTX A2000 minisforum has been showcasing in some of there marketing and also at the CES booth is a stock RTX A2000 with a customer cooler.

There is a discord channel (REVOCCASES) where people are modding there A2000's with a single slot cooler and 3D prints are available over at SFF forum.

Also SFF Forum has many members doing this: Completed - RTX A2000 Single Slot Cooler Mod - Interest Checking | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net) and some purchase options: GPU - Review: Low Profile & Single Slot RTX A2000 8GB / 3050Ti 8GB from TaoBao | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

If you do find purchase option, be carefull not to buy modded laptop variant as these have compatibility issues with 11th gen and later and also require modded nvidia driver.

1705225613952.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and mach3.2

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Was someone able to test the bifurcation already for the PCIe slots? maybe this card can fit: Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card

CJston15

Jan 15, 2024
Definitely interested in this one. I'm wonmdering if you ahve to remove the face plate in order to use a QNAP TL-D1600S JBOD. It seems this may be a nice little TrueNAS box.
I came here looking for exactly this. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 4U x299 NAS build that's power hungry with a Mini PC + DAS to reduce the footprint and power usage. When I saw this pop-up last week it really had me interested. I currently run Unraid as my home NAS solution and the 16bay version of the QNAP DAS is perfect with 12HDD and 4SSD bays but from what I've gathered the QNAP PCIE cards/controllers aren't recognized properly in Unraid for driver support. If the 16bay QNAP DAS works in Truenas Scale and the pcie card with it works in this MS-01 I may consider going that route and migrating to Truenas Scale.

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
First of all since if my first post here on forum even if I follow the YT channel since a good amount of time, thanks for your amazing videos.

Regarding memory, I think is worth to mention that 96GB configuration only works on Intel i9-13900H configuration. If you order the 12th gen to save some bucks, you have the usual maximum 64GB (32GBX2) of memory RAM, at least according to intel processor datasheet.
Hi. 12900H has tested with 96G(48Gx2) and it works fine.
@Maverick87Shaka

Reactions: PigLover

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
Anybody with vPro experience know which network port is used for the vPro remote management?
VPRO Enabled on I226-LM RJ45 Port(the rj45 next to SFP+)
Was someone able to test the bifurcation already for the PCIe slots? maybe this card can fit: Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card
Due to spec of this card(https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-2M2.pdf), There is no any pcie swtich chip on this card. So it's not supported.
Because of Intel's PCIE Line Limit, The Pcie solt cannot split.

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
Hi @JaxJiang Can we manually set memory speed in the bios and what is max value? Also what interface is Intel vPro using?
Hi. You cannot manually set memory speed in bios. Because of Intel's limit, even "We" cannot set memory speed.
The memory speed support 5200 on 13gen and 4800 on 12gen. If you use higher level of memory, it will be downgrade level to your platfrom supportted max speed.

welcometors

Jan 16, 2024
I know this is not the thread for SSDs but I want to use SSDs with power loss protection. I'm wondering does it supports enterprise SSDs like "Samsung 3.8T PM983 22110 NVMe"?

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
This is an amazing news, did you have the exact model tested? I've place the order for mine equipped with 12th gen CPU, so I'll be happy to go for 96Gb directly rather than buy 64GB now and upgrade later.

Thanks
CUSO/Curcial 48Gx2 5600Mhz(Downgrade to 5200/4800) has tested.

I know this is not the thread for SSDs but I want to use SSDs with power loss protection. I'm wondering does it supports enterprise SSDs like "Samsung 3.8T PM983 22110 NVMe"?
YES. Supported PM983.
If you want to buy U.2 drive. suggest Sansung PM9A3, up to 15TB.