1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining with extra AMD CPUs?

Discussion in 'Cryptocurrency Mining and Markets' started by T_Minus, Nov 14, 2017.

1. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I've got 2 4-Node AMD dual CPU chassis with 16 cores (8c each cpu) per-node / 64 chassis / 128 core total sitting around doing nothing... I need to heat my other office and was thinking about "pulling a @Marsh" and using the servers to do it.

I'll end up paying around 28 cents per-kWH. If I can reduce that by 50%, or rather accumulate 50% of that in some type of coin I'd be happy.

Is that possible? Or just sell those servers and get some GPUs?

I have RAM, spare SSD, etc, to run the servers now though.

100% new to mining, and don't want to spend much time configuring the software / OS on each so would prefer to do it once, and clone and repeat.

Thoughts? bad idea?
    Someone want to trade me for a couple GPUs that could actually use this hardware?

2. Monoman

Monoman Active Member

a lot of this depends on the performance of your 8c CPU's. Can you share specifics?

As for the setup, if you decide to go this way I'd just do a docker swarm and use @Patrick 's easy Monero docker and be done with it. Very simple in a swarm.

3. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

4. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

@T_Minus you're better off selling then buying the coin instead of mining

nfsden likes this.
  5. Monoman

Monoman Active Member

simple google searches show as of mid this year's difficulty you'll get around 4k hashes/second for all 128 cores. You can use that to figure out how much you'd make from a calculator.

6. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

We both are in CA with high power cost.

Each month, I am lucky to break-even after paying power bill,
    even happier if there is few hundreds dollars left to pay for hardware / toys.
    Winter time is great to keep house warm, summer time is a bear due to excess heat.

You have new V3 or V4 CPU, as least the newer hardware let you break-even after power cost.

Edit, I mine and hold , hoping for the price jump to be profitable.

Monoman likes this.
  7. ELit3

ELit3 Be Jgiggle

Go into GPU or find a place with a better power cost. 28 cents per kWH is outrages why not colo? I'm just getting into mining as well with GPU's though but I have a 0.03 oddish per kWH. I think I can do CPU or GPU hmmm how much would you sell the node for maybe I can play with it for awhile since I have some power to spare.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017