Mining Burst coins?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
creating plots now.
Not sure if the rates are good or not. but it only writes data to the drive for a few mins. I set the memory and thread high to see how fast it goes.
View attachment 7389

Next is mining, trying solo first.
let us know how it goes : )

I've got tons of spare disks. And these Aeon mining chassis I bought can accommodate 12 drives apiece -- more than enough drive bays.

Is there a linux version for any of the tools (plotter or miner)?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I'm not sure on Linux.
If I run into any information on that I'll post it.
Right now I making a 2tb plot vs one 14tb. It seems to be doing 11k nounces with 8 cpu or halve of my server resources. I'm hoping the 2tb is done by morning. Last I checked it was up to 8 percent done.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I'm not sure on Linux.
If I run into any information on that I'll post it.
Right now I making a 2tb plot vs one 14tb. It seems to be doing 11k nounces with 8 cpu or halve of my server resources. I'm hoping the 2tb is done by morning. Last I checked it was up to 8 percent done.
Interesting. There's supposed to be a gpu plotter. One person posted elsewhere the following:

"For your information, I was able to plot 2 10TB ironwolf drives in 40 hours with a 980Ti.
I'm sure you could plot 4 drives (or even more) in the same amount of time."

20tb in 40 hours is 500gb per hour. Around 140MB/s for two drives -- a pretty high percentage of the maximum sequential write speed. So it sounds like a mid range GPU should be able to max out the plotting speed of at least a handful of drives.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
my first 2TB plot is at 75% done this morning.

so my 2tb plot has a nonce of 0 to 8,726,312
at 11,236 nonces/min it should take 777 mins or like 13 hours

so 14tb / 2TB = 7 plots or 7 x 13 hours = 91 hours or almost 4 days.

so if my math is right, i should be done with first plat today by noon EST.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
the first 2tb completed as predicted above. the miner doesnt seem to take much resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: nkw

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I have been mining burst for about 6 months on 8x8TB drives. The payouts are not huge and you wont make a ton of money. The drives have paid for themselves at this point though. The drives to get plotted once and then just get read from for each block. The load on the drives is very small. Like others have said the bigger issue would/will be the spinup/down if you have your drives doing that.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
@modder man - Do you solo mine or use a pool? If a pool which do you like?
I have been using BTFG for the last 6 months or so. Thier pool is based off historical shares not shares on the current block. In doing that it evens out the payments, you can still profit even if you arent the block winner

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I have been using BTFG for the last 6 months or so. Thier pool is based off historical shares not shares on the current block. In doing that it evens out the payments, you can still profit even if you arent the block winner
Reviewing them now.

In you opinion is it worth getting 8-12 x 8 TB easyshare drives from BB at current price of 179 ea to setup and mine with burst? How have you converted burst over to usd?

I currently have 2 x 8tb drives as backup to my freenas server. I will have the server mining Aeon so i figured might as well load it up with drives and mine burst as well if it profitable enough to cover the cost of the drive over time plus electricity being used.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I have enjoyed the steadiness of it....although until the recent price jump it was hardly worth the time. As of right now with 64TB I am likely making ~$200 a month. I send the coins to bittrex and sell for BTC and send the BTC to coinbase.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I have enjoyed the steadiness of it....although until the recent price jump it was hardly worth the time. As of right now with 64TB I am likely making ~$200 a month. I send the coins to bittrex and sell for BTC and send the BTC to coinbase.
Thanks for the info. I think for now i will wait till i can get a bittrex account, before getting too far into burst mining.

Doiron

Jun 18, 2017
I have a similar setup to modder man, about 80TB in total, mining for 6 months. For five of those months, returns were barely more than the cost of electricity; the coin was full-out trash a few months ago after a massive spam attack on the network. Mining was practically impossible for 2-3 weeks while it was sorted out. That's in the past, and the newly formed PoCC is doing good work, but it looks like they're young/naive and have bit off more than they can chew, so I'm not sure if the current price will hold. My drives have paid for themselves, but just barely.

There's a lot of storage moving onto the network with the pump, so don't expect the mining calculator to predict the future accurately.

I'm basically just mining it until the next storage coin comes along, which I think is what most people are doing. If the PoCC does great things, that's great, but I'm not giving them great odds.

I haven't found a good plotter for linux, so I have a machine boot into windows to do that. Make sure your plot files are optimized, preferably when you write them to save time. One large file is better than several small files. GPU plotting is faster, but any GPU will be waiting for the drive to write the data so at best you'll get somewhere around 15k nonces per min. Seagate SMR drives can take up to a week to plot, but after plotting they're fine; just pray your machine doesn't go down at day 5 of plotting.

Linux plot readers: creepminer is the best by far, although it has some memory leak problems. Assume 1 full thread per drive for reading, at least 1 full thread per drive for verifying for best performance. 15-25 sec to scan 8tb.

Reactions: marcoi

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
How these storage guys will get better is if they get like an encrypted replicated sharded storage for NASA or others. If you've got a big government contract that can provide money to the ecosystem

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
@marcoi, how's this little project coming along? Any profitability numbers yet (even on paper is fine)?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I put it on hold since I need bittrex account to exchange the coins. Also seems based on others experience it taking months before they say any profits.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I put it on hold since I need bittrex account to exchange the coins. Also seems based on others experience it taking months before they say any profits.
Poloniex has about 25% of the burst transaction volume. Burst seems on paper to be a lot more liquid than Aeon and Intense.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I need bittrex account...
Ouch that's a major problem.

I have some 3tb drives in the mail that I bought just for this purpose, I guess I'll set them up anyway and hope the exchange problem sorts itself out (either someone else picking up Burst or bittrex allows new accounts again).

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Ouch that's a major problem.

I have some 3tb drives in the mail that I bought just for this purpose, I guess I'll set them up anyway and hope the exchange problem sorts itself out (either someone else picking up Burst or bittrex allows new accounts again).
Also learned the hard way "you need burst to make burst" -- apparently you'll want something like 10 burst in your wallet to do some of the steps required / recommended to start mining.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I was just playing around with that calculator posted earlier. If I've got 100TB, in 11 drives I make 189 BURST / day or about $16.85.

But I need CPU cores 2 per drive? So I'd lose mining on 22 cores?