Mini-ITX (or not?) storage chassis for SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Under 20w from Xeon D is very hard. Remember the system powered off with only the AST2400 BMC up is already 4.5-5W. Add in two DIMMs will be at minimum 3-4W more for 16GB DIMMs and then drives and 20w is just not a lot these days, especially with 35W/ 45W TDP CPUs. Idle you can get into the low/ mid 20W range easily with the 35w TDP CPUs it seems.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Wow really? Looking at the pictures it looks like there is no possible way you can fit that bay adapter into that (what looks like a) slim bay.
You are right, I just looked it comes with a slim line opening in the metal

I did get it to fit, but that was after liberal use of a dremel, losing the built in PSU, used a picopsu for which there is a provision on the back. Leaves you enough room for the mobo. provided you do not put anything in there which uses a huge cooler.

Sorry for setting you on the wrong track. Somehow I had convinced myself it came like that from the store.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
It has a full 5.25"slot. you can take the standard bezel out ( keep the lower ports) and rock that 6-in-1 all the way.

Will see if i can take a picture later. Have both still laying around here.
That would be terrific. Thanks a lot for the detailed info it makes all the difference.

Yea those are beauties. I may put one of the 8 x 2.5" bays in my server.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
You are right, I just looked it comes with a slim line opening in the metal

I did get it to fit, but that was after liberal use of a dremel, losing the built in PSU, used a picopsu for which there is a provision on the back. Leaves you enough room for the mobo. provided you do not put anything in there which uses a huge cooler.

Sorry for setting you on the wrong track. Somehow I had convinced myself it came like that from the store.
I see, that's what I had thought. The pics just didn't add up. Thanks for checking for me. It's too bad because that case is pretty ideal otherwise but I'm not interested in doing any case modding.

Thanks for the links but I'm looking for the ability to load drives without taking the case apart. The stacker is a nice case but waaaaaaay too deep for what I need.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Would the Thermaltake Element Qi work for you with an adapter (or two) for your 2.5" drives?
Thanks for the link! That looks like it certainly could work since it has a full 5.25" bay...but man is that front bezel with the red ugly. Wonder if there is anything I could replace that with that would be more useful.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Thanks for the link! That looks like it certainly could work since it has a full 5.25" bay...but man is that front bezel with the red ugly. Wonder if there is anything I could replace that with that would be more useful.
Apex have the same case minus the red strip front panel. It is exactly the same case.
This is my goto case for portable SSD file server storage case. Take 1 full height PCIe card. Holds lots of SSD.
Able to install 1 x 120mm fan to cool the internal components.

I have 4 of these cases. ( 3 x Apex , 1 Thermaltake )

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Apex have the same case minus the red strip front panel. It is exactly the same case.
This is my goto case for portable SSD file server storage case. Take 1 full height PCIe card. Holds lots of SSD.
Able to install 1 x 120mm fan to cool the internal components.

I have 4 of these cases. ( 3 x Apex , 1 Thermaltake )
Is there a different Apex case than this one because this one doesn't have a full 5.25" bay (or at least it doesn't look full size in the pics) which is a necessity.

APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply - Newegg.com

EDIT: Googling resulted in me finding the Apex MI-100 which looks great but it also is out of stock everywhere.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Apex MI-008 is the one, look at Newegg pictures, it have a full size 5.25 inch slot.
At one time, I fit a 3.5 hard drive in the Apex MI-008 case.

I don't have Apex MI-100 case, looking at the MI-1000 case pictures, the internal is always exactly like MI-008.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Apex MI-008 is the one, look at Newegg pictures, it have a full size 5.25 inch slot.
At one time, I fit a 3.5 hard drive in the Apex MI-008 case.

I don't have Apex MI-100 case, looking at the MI-1000 case pictures, the internal is always exactly like MI-008.
It looks like it fits a full sized bay internally but it looks like it would only work for a DVD drive because of that plastic bezel cover. Don't see how you'd install an Icy Dock in there to be accessible from the outside.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I went to check my cases, Thermaltake version of the case, the DVD slot have a plastic filler, just pop it out.
Apex version of the case, it has a spring loaded DVD cover.

From google pictures. MI-100 DVD cover is just a plastic filler.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I went to check my cases, Thermaltake version of the case, the DVD slot have a plastic filler, just pop it out.
Apex version of the case, it has a spring loaded DVD cover.

From google pictures. MI-100 DVD cover is just a plastic filler.
Yea that's what I see too, thanks for confirming. Since I hate the look of the red on the Thermaltake case the only one of those 3 that would work for me is the MI-100 but it's out of stock everywhere. I'm one of those people who is OCD about my cases if I have to look at it every day which in this case I will since it will be sitting on my desk.

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
Yea that's what I see too, thanks for confirming. Since I hate the look of the red on the Thermaltake case the only one of those 3 that would work for me is the MI-100 but it's out of stock everywhere. I'm one of those people who is OCD about my cases if I have to look at it every day which in this case I will since it will be sitting on my desk.
Have you thought of using the Rosewill RS-MI-01; basically the same case.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Have you thought of using the Rosewill RS-MI-01; basically the same case.
Yes, that case was mentioned earlier in the thread but it just looks so cheap and Rosewill cases generally are. Looking for something that looks more substantial. I know I'm being real specific here but I really appreciate everyone's links and suggestions as it's helped a lot!

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
At this point I'm learning towards the iStarUSA S-35EX. It's a little larger than I want but I really like the clean look of it and if I'm forced to go with a bigger case than I wanted I might as well give myself expand-ability. With this case I could potentially fit 24 SSD's down the line if I ever wanted to.

EDIT: For anyone else interested in what building inside the S-35EX is like.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
In a perfect world you could put a lot of SSD in there but in reality that would likely not work due to cabling nightmare of fan-out cables, now if you could find some expander backplanes and use some 8087s that may work :)

I know in the case I mentioned which is a slightly bit bigger doing 12 drives is a LOT of cable and that's using cables that BARELY reached too.

Looks like a cool case, I have a couple other mini-nas style cases liek that to deploy I'll let you know if I Find anymore that may be your size!

Reactions: Patriot