Mini-ITX (or not?) storage chassis for SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Paul Bommel

Oct 30, 2015
Those are neat although I think casetronic does a touch better job offering hot swap bays at the same time including some more interesting devices like this
Too bad they have no reseller for germany...

Maybe build-a-blade will make more sense:
Build-a-blade BB-ITX96 blade server system for Mini ITX

anyone know where I can get decent Pico-ITX boards?
e.g.:

PICO880 - Pico-ITX SBC with Intel Core i7/i5/i3 and Celeron Processor

or

NP93 :: JNP93 :: Intel Bay Trail-M N2930 N2807 Hummer SoC Pico-ITX Motherboard :: JETWAY COMPUTER CORP.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm opening up considerations for 1u/2u rackmount chassis' since I do have the room to put one right next to my current iStarUSA 2u case next to my desk. My current iStarUSA rack case is about 20.5" deep and I'd like to keep this new one about the same.

Any suggestions? SuperMicro doesn't seem to sell any short depth rack cases from what I see although their offers with the 2.5" hot swap bays are pretty sweet looking.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
How about this from casetronic if you're going to go that route, it also moves your options up to matx so a board like this would work... not that i can seem to find it
T23R3 2U Rackmount
That's a fantastic looking case considering the features and physical dimensions. I can't seem to find it for sale either though.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a short intel 1U w.8 hotswap 2.5" haswell e3, i got an i3 from a member here to test it out, it's on my 'to do list' tdoay :) I'll letyou know how loud it is

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
If 8 bays is enough there's this Travla T2281 2U Rackmount Raid chassis
you could technically get 2 4 port boards and make them a HA cluster even
I've seen that case in my past searches but if I'm going to go 2U I'd prefer more than 8 bays for future expandability. Besides the cooling looks to be lacking in that chassis.

I also don't really have a need for a single system / 2-node HA cluster. I have my Xeon D-1540 board as my main transcoding system and a VM on my PC (i5-4690K @ 4.5Ghz) as my backup transcoding system. What I need now is a centralized high speed datastore those two systems can share.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Can anyone speak to the noise produced by the SuperMicro SC113M series chassis?

Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Products | Chassis | 1U

Also, if someone can recommend 15U or less rack cabinet that could be used in an office where noise dampening is the top priority. Would need something between 550-750mm in depth to consider it.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That is the ghettoist Blade Chassis I have ever seen and I've seen allot. I wonder how much power that frankenstein monster would consume going full bore. The fans must be hurricanes to run. Good god I've seen everything.
I am sorry I took the bait and clicked, that's horrible !
Shaking my head wondering who would buy such a thing.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I have a new 1U SM but it is not hot swap.

noise is not too bad. it has a squirrel fan in it.

Chris

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Damn, they look so perfect too. I'm guessing just about any 1U prebuild chassis is going to have jet-engine like fans eh?
I would tend to say yes, however the new low power stuff may be changing that :)

However, moving air in 1U sized fans may have a whine no matter what..

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I would tend to say yes, however the new low power stuff may be changing that :)

However, moving air in 1U sized fans may have a whine no matter what..
I need to cool my Xeon D-1540 which gets fairly hot from all the constant transcoding it does. I'd consider a 2u case but all the 2.5" hot swap 2U cases I've seen have like 20-24 bays which I'll never even fill half of.