Mini ITX Cluster Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I've been looking to build a mini ITX cluster for awhile now. Ideally I can use one PSU and split it to feed multiple boards. I saw this case from mini-itx.com:

That only has two spots. Does anyone know of one, that is in the US and that has 4? Also, I would be looking to power say 4 boards with one PSU for fewer components and to get load higher for better efficiency.

This is partly based on what Patrick was doing with his cluster in a box.

Would be great for web hosting. If it stays under 2U I could send these out to different colocation places and build my own cloud.

Reactions: Zankza

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Saw these a year or so ago and thought they were cute. Not cute enough to do anything with at the time...but with the Avoton/Rangerley boards that opinion might change. 9x Mini-ITX in 6u: Build-a-blade BB-ITX96 blade server system for Mini ITX. Has separate 12v PSUs per "blade" but they offer an optional single transformer to distribute 12v to the shelf.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Saw these a year or so ago and thought they were cute. Not cute enough to do anything with at the time...but with the Avoton/Rangerley boards that opinion might change. 9x Mini-ITX in 6u: Build-a-blade BB-ITX96 blade server system for Mini ITX. Has separate 12v PSUs per "blade" but they offer an optional single transformer to distribute 12v to the shelf.
Something like that is fairly interesting. The big question I would have is whether it would make sense to just build the side-by-side 2 mini ITX per U at that rate. You would get 12 servers in 6U going that direction. Of course, you would need to figure out power and networking.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Why are you guys all bent out of shape on this one?

You can get a rackmount shelf, full depth for $80 or less.

Put the mITX systems in these (since ya'll are so addicted to supermicro): Supermicro CSE 101i Mini ITX SuperChassis Full MFR Warranty | eBay $100/ ea

Add a power strip ~$30

Add a cheap Netgear 8 port switch like this one for $60.

Then all you need is a switch or two for data and you are done. Could probably get more than 8 fit in this way and easily fit in a 2U.

This is like white box mac-mini hosting.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Just putting the mITX boards on a shelf would work also; skip the CSE 101i chassis. Like folding naked.

I can think of a few options for unified power. 1) One large ATX PSU connected to a single board(master) and use PicoPSUs on the slaves. This would let you power cycle the slaves independently. 2) Split 24pin ATX out to each board, with PS_ON only connected to one board. All the systems would have to be power cycled at the same time. 3) Pull a 1+1 power backplane from a server and wire it to a switch. You can then use PicoPSUs on all the boards and each can be power cycled independently.

I think option 1 would be the easiest to implement. With the new Atom boards at <35W + 5W SSD, so ~40W node and ~3.5A draw from the 12V of the main PSU using the 120W PicoPSU. Using The 660W Seasonic SS-660XP2 you could run 15 nodes.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Would also be interesting if/when any of the Avoton/Rangerley boards come out with on-board 12v power (like the thin-mini-ITX). In fact, thin-mini-ITX could be very interesting, esp. if you could stack them vertically (i.e., MB tray for the one on the bottom and simple stand-offs as you go up. At the 20-30w full system power profile you could cool the stack with nice quiet slow fans.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Just putting the mITX boards on a shelf would work also; skip the CSE 101i chassis. Like folding naked.

I think option 1 would be the easiest to implement. With the new Atom boards at <35W + 5W SSD, so ~40W node and ~3.5A draw from the 12V of the main PSU using the 120W PicoPSU.
I would never run fully naked systems in a datacenter because someone could walk by and short it.

I think the power consumption is full LAN + full CPU + SSD so <35w.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Would also be interesting if/when any of the Avoton/Rangerley boards come out with on-board 12v power (like the thin-mini-ITX). In fact, thin-mini-ITX could be very interesting, esp. if you could stack them vertically (i.e., MB tray for the one on the bottom and simple stand-offs as you go up. At the 20-30w full system power profile you could cool the stack with nice quiet slow fans.
Similar style to the rPi or Parallela "clusters"?

[video=youtube;jqqxTpz-hJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU50A6Qra-LVdovHw4hH449w&v=jqqxTpz-hJY[/video]

I would never run fully naked systems in a datacenter because someone could walk by and short it.

I think the power consumption is full LAN + full CPU + SSD so <35w.
Yeah, I would not do this in an open colo. Also, valid point on the power for Patrick's tests. I also think that is from the wall.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am supposed to get my parallela soon... it has been a long time.

And those were from the wall on power consumption.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hello guys, I have developed a lasercut plexiglas case that fits inside ikea helmer cabinet to create a budget renderfarm solution for CGI artists like myself to render faster. It is very compact and fits under most desks.

I am not very familiar with cloud cluster computing so I want to hear your opinion, would you be interest in Renderpockets idea for your project? Can you give me your advice on how I can improve renderpockets to adapt better to your projects (more storage space, more ventilation, more CPUs?) I am very interested in understanding your market and hope to be a part of.

Thanks,
Art
View more at: Render Pockets | Facebook
render pockets (in progress)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can you give me your advice on how I can improve renderpockets to adapt better to your projects (more storage space, more ventilation, more CPUs?)
Have any more information on these? I might be interested and happy to give feedback.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Have any more information on these? I might be interested and happy to give feedback.
Yes there is more info on facebook, we are making final prototype, so I just wanted to know from other people not related to CGI industry what would their needs be, so we can add maybe extra features, like extra storage compartment or 2 motherboards in 1 case (possible with pico-psu)... Let me know if you cannot see facebook page.

Art