Mikrotik RB850Gx2 ERL competitor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Mikrotik RB850Gx2 is now available according to Mikrotiks website: Link

For those that haven't seen the specs:
Dual-core PPC @ 500MHz
512 MB RAM
5 Gigabit ports
MSRP 129$ (board only)

It is looking fairly potent, I for one am looking forward to a performance comparison between this and the EdgeRouterLite.

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Um - RouterOS license level 5 from a GUI perspective is light years ahead of an EdgeRouter Lite.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Um - RouterOS license level 5 from a GUI perspective is light years ahead of an EdgeRouter Lite.
I like my Mikrotiks but I honestly don't like their GUI, at least not compared to pfsense's (especially for firewall rule editing).
ERLs UI, but it must be terrible if Mikrotik's is better :)

Just out of curiosity, it would be nice to see how the feature set of ERLs firmware is different to that of a Mikrotik.
For instance Mikrotik does not support OpenVPN in UDP mode, and I am guessing that the ERL firmware lack similar features?

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Just out of curiosity, it would be nice to see how the feature set of ERLs firmware is different to that of a Mikrotik.
For instance Mikrotik does not support OpenVPN in UDP mode, and I am guessing that the ERL firmware lack similar features?
The target market for this board is near-1Gb NAT & good AES256 encryption speed at a low(er) price with low power consumption. IMO the RB850Gx2 is lacking in expansion options (such as pcie) & CPU power, much like the ERL. As far as features of the software, RouterOS vs ERL, routeros wins in routing protocall capability, vpn options, firewall configuration options, QOS & packet filtering. ERL wins in NAT speed (speed vs price, unless the RB850Gx2 can do 800-900Mbps) and hardware offload capabilities.

IMHO they both pieces of hardware serve niche markets that I'm surprised either company even bothers/tries to target. If the RB850Gx2 can do 200mbps AES256 I would consider integrating it into colo'ed 1u & tower servers as a hardware firewall/site-to-site VPN solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick