Mikrotik CRS212

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone using the Mikrotik CRS212?

Seems like a great way to add 10 1Gig SFP ports to a network for <200$.

My concern is that the jump to the next higher port version is well over 3x the price, which leads me to believe that with 10x 1Gig, and 1x10Gig this switch is AT CAPACITY if all ports are being utilized at once, very little head-room and latency could get nasty are thoughts going through my head as the CPU usage spikes...

Anyone used one? Is it built to handle more and runs low heat/power at capacity?

I don't see pushing one, but I like to know the limit of things before getting in too deep ;D

My primary usage would be to simply add the 1Gig SFP ports as an option for connecting to my network via thin client, and/or other long runs I do with fiber to the garage. NONE of anything 'main' will be on this switch, the other 1Gig POE switch will see camera traffic itself, this sems like a great deal considering it has the 10Gig SFP+ which is a bonus for conecting to my 10G primary network.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Depends on your purposes. Are you intending to use it primarily as a switch, or as a router? It has the same CPU as the CRS226 which has double the ports (24 1gbps and 2 10gps). Layer 2 switching should be wire speed, but if you need to use extensive layer 3 features/routing, you will run into performance issues.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
HP T310 = Primary purpose --- So no real duty at all just to connect the ZeroClients.

The other model I looked at I can't recall, but was a completely different CPU with way more cores.

(That is assuming the ZeroClients don't need to plug directly into ESXI host -- new area for me here)

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
The other model I looked at I can't recall, but was a completely different CPU with way more cores.
If you are talking about another Mikrotik product, then you were probably looking at one of the routers in the CCR series.

All of Mikrotiks switches in the CRS series use single core MIPS CPUs, making them relatively slow routers.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I had one, I used it as a switch for my KVM network segment. Didn't do anything fancy with it, but it did it's basic job.

Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
HP T310 = Primary purpose --- So no real duty at all just to connect the ZeroClients.

(That is assuming the ZeroClients don't need to plug directly into ESXI host -- new area for me here)
T-dawg, this will work as you described, the HP T310 uses PCoIP so honestly a few Mbps to 10-15Mbps if you're running the heavist HD vids on LAN to the zeroclient, will be a brokered connection through the Vmware Horizon connection broker VM (no need for security server if all you intend to do is use it on LAN but the sec svr add-on is dope. The Horizon connection broker will have linkage/association to your vCenter and inherently back to ESXi hosts of course for VDI provisioning. 1GbE connects to zero clients or other clients and 10G back to core from that segment should rock!

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
T-dawg, this will work as you described, the HP T310 uses PCoIP so honestly a few Mbps to 10-15Mbps if you're running the heavist HD vids on LAN to the zeroclient, will be a brokered connection through the Vmware Horizon VM that has linkages to your vCenter and inherently back to ESXi hosts of course. 1GbE connects to zero clients or other clients and 10G back to core from that segment should rock!

Woohoo! This def. seems like the most affordable option.

I will go this route!

Can't wait to try out all these new features :D