Microsoft Windows 10 Professional $10.14

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
The impression I got was that the laws work slightly differently in the EU, and nothing prevents them from pulling licenses from scrapped machines and selling them. I'm not 100% on that though, so it might not be true.

As for the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade, for the most part the free upgrade period is long over. There was some trick that you could do to still get it if your machine upgraded if it had certain accessibility settings turned on, but it looks like its only good for another month: Here's how to get Windows 10 for free -- until Dec. 31

And I do think that machines that had previously been upgraded from 7 to 10 can now be re-upgraded from 7 to 10 or have a fresh install of 10. When the main offer was good I went to the trouble of upgrading all of my machines to 10 and then reverting just so I'd have the option in the future.
Yes, EU law supersedes any EULA you might have attached to any product. Some argue that the codes might have been bought by stolen CC numbers but that still doesn't constitute as an offence by you as a buyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: hakabe

fmyhr

Jan 13, 2017
Either way, $10 is still too much for it imo :D
Yes. I don't touch the stuff since Win7 even though I get free MS licenses through affiliation with universities. :D
Agree completely. If I were an options trader I'd be sorely tempted to sell MS stock short. I know they're a huge company with gigantic cash reserves and many irons in the IT fire, but their current consumer OS strategy is completely misguided. It's like they want to be Google and yet STILL charge exorbitant licensing fees. Just no. If I want a cloud OS (which I emphatically do NOT) I'll choose the "free" one, thank you very little. It seems to me that Windows' main advantages are:

1) Legacy software
2) Ability to run locally, with OUT the cloud & spyware.

Chrome will continue to make (1) less relevant. MS themselves are removing (2) for everyone but enterprise.

At this rate, the Year of the Linux Desktop (TM) may finally arrive courtesy of MS.

/rant
/offtopic
(apologies to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.