Micro server Gen 8 Dual Fan New Cooling System

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
D

Deleted member 14874

Hi all,

New to the forum so hello all

I wrote about this in much more detail on my blog here with instructions.

I recently installed dual fans on my Gen 8 heatsink after installing the Intel Core i3 3240 processor. Installing the i3 processor gave me a huge increase in performance but came at a cost. That cost being heat and a lot of it. So I ordered some 30x30 fans and installed them onto the heatsink.

I was extremely careful of placement. Putting anything in the middle of the heatsink fins (anything holding the fans) could cause heat spots and that's not something I wanted the put my new processor through. So I managed to cable tie the fans to the screws holding the heatsink to the motherboard. Again being careful as to not apply too much pressure to the screws.

The fans are rather stable seeing as just two cable ties are holding it down. The method works very well and I am really impressed with it. I have seen a huge 20°C decrease in temperature readings when the server is at full CPU load.

I thought I would share this method as other people might be interested in.

Attachments

Reactions: Rand__ and pgh5278

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
I hope you got some quality fans because the cheap ones don't last a month at full speed...

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
No room to put one big one blowing down on the heatsink?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Waldek

Apr 3, 2016
Exactly, instead of the two small ones, I would rather put a good quality (IMHO Noctua are great) bigger fan (rather static pressure oriented than airflow) pushing the air downward. I think it would even make great effect to have a larger-than-the-heatsink fan in order to cool the memory modules. You could use the small fans to cool the chipset or an m2 drive :)

Cheers
Waldek