Mellanox Switches - Tips & Tricks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
What USB to Serial adapter do you guys use to connect your laptop to the Mellanox switch serial console (especially the SN2xxx series)? There's an article that talked about the adapter selection (5 Steps for Selecting the Right USB to Serial adapter). But not sure if it is really worth to buy those recommended. I have an older adapter (pre-2012) with older Prolific PL2303HXA chip lying around , however, the adapter driver is no more compatible with the newer Windows OS. Looking to get an adapter with newer chip, and would like to hear your suggestions.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
What USB to Serial adapter do you guys use to connect your laptop to the Mellanox switch serial console (especially the SN2xxx series)? There's an article that talked about the adapter selection (5 Steps for Selecting the Right USB to Serial adapter). But not sure if it is really worth to buy those recommended. I have an older adapter (pre-2012) with older Prolific PL2303HXA chip lying around , however, the adapter driver is no more compatible with the newer Windows OS. Looking to get an adapter with newer chip, and would like to hear your suggestions.
You can still use that adapter, here is information:

Reactions: dbTH

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Again, another question relating to the Mellanox SN2xxx switch serial console. What's better way to redirect the serial console over the the IP remotely?

In the past, before the BMC/IPMI console became available on server system board, we used to have the dedicated Terminal or Console Server for the purpose on the servers or devices that have serial console . But that's setup is over kill for the homelab use on a switch only. Is there a better and simple solution do you guys use?

There single port Serial to IP adapter available, does anyone have experience of using one for such purpose. Any suggestion on the brand and model?

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Why not use the normal in band management?

There are tons of serial servers on ebay, like Moxa
I think in band management is useful if the switch is up and can be access remotely over IP. But may not be useful if you want to fresh install or update the firmware or the switch OS remotely when the switch management network is not even up.

Will take a look at the serial server such as "Moxa" as you suggested. Thanks for that.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I think in band management is useful if the switch is up and can be access remotely over IP. But may not be useful if you want to fresh install or update the firmware or the switch OS remotely when the switch management network is not even up.
That's a case I usually don't worry about, because it shouldn't and doesn't happen often.

Are you placing the switch in a distant datacenter where you don't have access? In that case it's usually easier to book a technician fron the colo provider.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
my switch after loading onyx, keeps repeating the following:

[ 564.262514] Fails to access register MGPIR, err: 0, status: 4.
[ 564.268422] module sysfs nodes handler failed to get maximum module number.
[ 564.275494] module sysfs nodes handler failed to create eeprom sysfs sub-tree.
[ 564.282856] sx_core 0000:03:00.0: Failed to create ASIC sysfs
[ 564.289114] iounmap: bad address 00000000a0c7cc82
[ 564.295423] pci_register_driver() returned successfully but probe function failed
[ 564.303077] PCI probe failed, aborting (err=-5)

then when it gets to a login prompt, and i login , with admin / admin it wants to do the configuration wizard.
After i set the hostname, it states :

Lost contact with management subsystem; exiting Wizard.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Well either you did something wrong or the recovery procedure is faulty.

Where are you located? I might be able to help, but I can't upload a full OS image due to poor upload here. Maybe I can prepare a finished SSD for you.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I probably won't be able to fix a botched install (created with the recovery procedure).

If you have a known good image, I can most likely help you adapt it to your switch

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
i have X86_64-3.10.4206-installer.bin and X86_64-3.9.3202-installer.bin
ah yeah no that's not an image, or at least not what I meant

What I do is take a copy of a known good switch and adapt the database

Image is pretty large, but might me doable. Drop me a PM and we can try to figure it out

KaHaR

Mar 1, 2017
Does anyone have a cumulus linux installer? I believe they enable ports for all spectrum based switches without a license.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
What tools do you use to create the Mellanox Onyx OS image from one of the installed or boot partitions from a running Melllanox SN2xxx switch?
The Onyx cli command "image" doesn't provide the option to "create" image but can do "install" and not other way round:

Code:
# image ?
boot                           Specify which system image to boot by default
default-chip-fw                Install a chip default firmware package
delete                         Delete an inactive system image from the hard disk
fetch                          Download a system image from a remote host
install                        Install an image file onto a system partition
move                           Move or rename an inactive system image on the hard disk
options                        Set options and defaults for image usage
upload                         Upload an image file to a remote host