Mellanox DAC connection issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
I have a DELL 0RT8N1 Dell Mellanox 10GB Single Port Connectx-2 PCI-E NIC that I'm using with FreeNAS. When I use the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M that I got with it everything works, but the cable isn't long enough to reach where I need it to.

I ordered an FS SFPP-PC07 Cisco cable but it doesn't seem to work. I get Link Up messages and then an immediate Link Down. Sometimes I get a link light on my switch, sometimes not. Additionally, the FS cable does not want to disconnect from the NIC. It takes a lot more force to unplug it than I use for the Cisco cable. I don't have the same issue on the switch side. I'm using the QNAP QSW-1208-8C switch.

Any ideas why I'm seeing this issue? I ordered the Cisco version of the DAC from FS.com but it appears that all of their 7m DAC are the exact same cable so I'm not sure why it asks me to pick my ends.

Thanks.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
Turns out it was a port issue on the switch. Which is weird because the Cisco cable works in that port but none of the FS.com cables do. But they work in a different port.