Mellanox ConnectX-3 Wake on LAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
Hi, I'm using ConnectX-3's to implement 40Gbit networking throughout my home, and one of the important nodes is the HTPC. As you might imagine I think that it would be swell given the lack of HDMI-CEC on Nvidia to be able to boot up the PC without getting off the couch. The first step for that would be wake-on-lan. I'll surely set up a raspberry pi on the motherboard's 1Gbit Ethernet if it comes to it, but I was hoping that Mellanox can do it.

1. This machine in particular is connected over MPO fiber. When the machine is powered off or hibernating is the hardware even capable of receiving packets?
2. In Linux i can see some wake on lan related settings that are ostensibly settable from `sudo mlxconfig -d /dev/mst/mt4099_pciconf0 show_confs`. What is the equivalent on windows? Is there one?
3. How does that relate to the bios? I think these cards have a bios? I've seen it sometimes on bootup. But it rarely shows up. What do I have to do to get it to show up so I can enter this bios to configure it?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
3) Not BIOS, but Boot Rom which could be used to Boot a OS via Network
4) ipmi ist awesome for starting Systems remotely :)

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
Yes thank you Sean you mentioned the same in my other thread. I'm absolutely not running another wire down the stairs, I already did that for the fiber. The raspberry pi can be always powered on with a wall wart tapping the mains voltage and coordinate wakeup via wifi.

In the meantime i'll keep poking around and see if i cannot at least get a cx3 on a linux box to WoL first. There are hints from posts on here that it can be done but I have not seen anybody confirm it.

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
Hey that sounds super plausible to me! Because i also had that notion in my head, I think I read someone mention the same also, that the Pro cards provide WoL.

So perhaps I should not get my hopes up for it. Because even though it is an option in the show_confs, it is not returned as a value in the query.