Mellanox ConnectX-3 on ebay look strange

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

devrand

Apr 29, 2020
Bought two of these (dual port). One was dead on arrival (did not show up as PCIe device in the BIOS).

I got a Fujitsu Primergy TX100 SP3. Between the PCIe slots thereare electrolytic capacitors. The way these cards are made make them interfere with the capacitory, meaning of the 4 PCIe slots on the motherboard I can only use 2 as the card will not insert all the way on the other two slots.

These cards are really cheap, but these cards are hot, some of these assembled ones, especially these with metal case, are thicker than a PCIe slot, and these dual-port ones are probably not reliable as they are handmade.
I measured 6W power consumption (+-2W accurate probably) with one card and one sfp+ connection

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Has anyone tried this on a Windows 11 install? Looks like they're not officially supported as per this thread, Connectx-3 cx311a-xcat for Win11 crashed, but this guy seems to be using it on his Windows 11 card (Windows auto-installed drivers).
But the link speed it says 1410 Mbps. It's kind of hard to tell if the Windows drivers are actually working properly since his testing procedure isn't comprehensive.

Semowett

Oct 25, 2021
Anyone find a way to source a mezzanine PCI 3.0 card adapter?

Also interested in sourcing a 4.0 for a mezzaine connectx-4 cards to PCIE into a 12G dell server.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Anyone find a way to source a mezzanine PCI 3.0 card adapter?

Also interested in sourcing a 4.0 for a mezzaine connectx-4 cards to PCIE into a 12G dell server.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pcie-3-x8-adapter-for-ocp-2-0-cards-18.36542/ I'm using it with connect-x 4 cards. Just remember to add proper cooling for connect-x 4 cards. They will get really hot without airflow. One of my two cards hit 75c idling. Added a 4010 fan and it idles at 54c.

Semowett

Oct 25, 2021
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pcie-3-x8-adapter-for-ocp-2-0-cards-18.36542/ I'm using it with connect-x 4 cards. Just remember to add proper cooling for connect-x 4 cards. They will get really hot without airflow. One of my two cards hit 75c idling. Added a 4010 fan and it idles at 54c.
So thankful someone has found an option. I was about to spend my weekend on a deep dive to find a solution.

Links dead, could you send me a snap shot of that purcahse in your ebay history so I can find a similiar product? Much apperciated!!

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
So thankful someone has found an option. I was about to spend my weekend on a deep dive to find a solution.

Links dead, could you send me a snap shot of that purcahse in your ebay history so I can find a similiar product? Much apperciated!!
Since you can't buy it anymore, you can always have it fabricated GitHub - KCORES/OCP2PCIe: OCP Mezzanine card V2.0 to standard PCIe slot adapter design this is the design the cards were fabricated from.

You could check AliExpress to see if they still sell these. I have a feeling these were limited runs or left over from refurbishing mellanox connectx3 cards. Keep in mind that there are two versions of these, one is just a converter for connect x3 cards and another one has a 5v buck converter for connectx 4 cards (and others that require additional voltage). I am not knowledgeable of which other ocp 2.0 cards require the additional power. You'll need to carefully look at the spec sheet. Using the adapter without a regulator on a connect x4 will not work.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
There was single adapters and packs available on aliexpress when i looked a few weeks ago.

Semowett

Oct 25, 2021
Found quite a few options. Had to head over to TaoBoa

Best option I found then, a very interesting one.

OCP to PCIE Quanta 10G 341G 520 Gigabit network card adapter card CX4a x8 adapter board HERE
1687753529302.png

• Full-size immersion plate, 5V module on the front, does not occupy space on the back after installation, baffle screw hole reserves adjustment space, laser cut 304 stainless steel baffle.
  • Only Quanta's CX341a.82599.X520 OCP interface NIC is supported, and other brands are not supported.
  • CX341 all options are available, 82599, X520 please choose pcie-X4X8 version (promotion) and (local tycoon).
  • The connector is an original FCI imported part: 61082-122402LF, not a domestic cushion, reliable and stable.

---

ocp 2.0 for mezzanine on PCIE 4.0 X8. Good for non cx3*** as it has 5v module.

"New OCP+NVME riser card
ocp1*X8,2*nvme X4 Pcle4.0
PCIE3.04.0 expansion card PCIE split card M2 split card OCP adapter card Compatible with cx341/282599en/scx4421x540 and other oc p network cards!
It was born to solve the shortage of Pcie slots and the need to add multiple SSDs and 10 Gigabit network cards, which can meet the needs of 10 Gigabit NAS.
Reminder: Motherboard BIOS is required to support PCle working mode setting (X4+X4+X4+X4 or X8+X4+X4, some motherboards require X4+X4+X8 in special cases)
The unit price of the adapter card set is 149, (board card*1, stainless steel screw*10, copper pillar*4, AVC mute fan*1, full-height custom heat dissipation baffle*1, m.2 fixing screw*2) default without 5V drop Voltage module! Requires 5V step-down module + 10 yuan original fci connector, original height, Japan Senju silver-containing high-temperature solder paste reflow soldering, high reliability. Let your system run more stable and reliable for a long time."

1687751342649.png

PCIE 3 X8 WITH 5V - OCP supports CX341 4411 4421

OCP riser card supports cx341 4411 4421 free shipping-Taobao.com

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
These adapter cards have gotten better. The ones I bought didn't come with a fan so sourcing the right fan to fit in between the card and adapter was impossible since there weren't any thin enough. I think it's only a 3mm gap with a connectx-4 cards I have. I ended up using double sided tape and a 40x20 12v fan on the outside of the card.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
There are insane amount of surplus mezzanines so there is a bigger and bigger incentive to make some good adapters to bundle them with.

Id be suprised if we dont see some startech type brands come out with something in the next 1-3 years.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
There are insane amount of surplus mezzanines so there is a bigger and bigger incentive to make some good adapters to bundle them with.

Id be suprised if we dont see some startech type brands come out with something in the next 1-3 years.
Yea. Especially when all of the cards are based off the design from the KCORES repo. The buck converter they use is off the shelf as well and has a good track record.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
What im missing good adapters for are these pcie gen3 x8 ports that use the small pcb riser to connect.
1687763964132.png

Got probably 100+ cards with that connector from reselling stuff that came with them and got upgraded with a 4-5$ sas3 one.
Its all working 10/40g or sas2 cards so not had the heart to just throw them away even if having no usecase for them.