Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN Single Port Cards - SFP+ restrictions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
Cables - Mellanox Technologies
don't understand this on notes #5
5. Supports topologies of a switch connected to up to 4 adapters (not supported by ConnectX-3 or earlier adapter generations). Require special Switch configuration. For more information, refer to the UM of the relevant Switch.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
It turns out that the forward breakout from qsfp to sfp+ only works on mellanox switches, it does not work even on their connectx-3 cards. That bummed me out when I tried I few months ago. But at least the Intel 40gb NICs can do that.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It turns out that the forward breakout from qsfp to sfp+ only works on mellanox switches, it does not work even on their connectx-3 cards. That bummed me out when I tried I few months ago. But at least the Intel 40gb NICs can do that.
Now only if I could get my Mellanox FDR/ IB switch to work! @dba tried and failed.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Bummer! I ended up picking up a Cisco nexus 3000 switch to solve my 10gbit needs, though I was really hoping I could have gotten a mellanox 56/40 vpi switch with the upgraded software to do both infiniband and Ethernet....kinda jellous right now :) Still have my 40gbit infiniband switch but would have been nice to consolidate to a single switch for both.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Bummer! I ended up picking up a Cisco nexus 3000 switch to solve my 10gbit needs, though I was really hoping I could have gotten a mellanox 56/40 vpi switch with the upgraded software to do both infiniband and Ethernet....kinda jellous right now :) Still have my 40gbit infiniband switch but would have been nice to consolidate to a single switch for both.
If you want to ask dba about it, happy to loan it out to you to see if you can get it working. It is a development 36-port switch so I was thinking of asking Mellanox for help with it since they are local.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
If you want to ask dba about it, happy to loan it out to you to see if you can get it working. It is a development 36-port switch so I was thinking of asking Mellanox for help with it since they are local.

Strange enough I remember this switch from ebay....I was super tempted to pick it up. I even found a developers guide pdf online somewhere, which helped me realize I was way out of my league and didn't purchase it.

ServeMe

Nov 9, 2014
Berlin, Germany
Does anyone know how long passive cables can be for the Mellanox cards (MNPA19)?

I found some cheap Cisco passive cables with 10meters and befor I buy them instead of active cables same length I would like to know if someone can give me an advise.

Can i do this or shouldn't I?

I couldn' find specific informations at the mellanox site. :(