Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN Single Port Cards - SFP+ restrictions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
As I'm looking around ebay for other cards to put in the supermicro 846E1 I came across our favorite Mellanox ConnectX-2 single port 10gig ethernet SFP+ cards for $35/ea

Mellanox Connectx 2 10GbE Ethernet Network Server Adapter MNPA19 XTR | eBay

It got me thinking that if these things are cheaper than single or dual port 1gig cards, maybe it's time to switch to 10gig.

Switches are really pricey but that Gnodal switch would pay off in the long run since I could use 1 switch and connect everything at 10 gig.

How are cables with the ConnectX-2 EN cards? I'm worried that I'll end up in cable hell going this path. I've thought about it before but the price is getting so low I'm having trouble resisting.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I have been using both fiber and dell DAC coper cables with my Mellanox cards without issue. They are connected to a couple of 3Com switches

Reactions: Patrick and Entz

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
I think we need a MiniKnight deal of the day forum ;)

Good to know pyro_ , I am in SFP hell with my brocade cards ( Brocade SFP+s from Fiberstore do not work, have some originals on order and gonna try Dell next) and am looking for something that just works =/

Reactions: Patrick

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
If i had not picked up so many cards earlier this year i would be picking up more of them now at that price

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
how did these thing get cheap??
I think it is probably because they have the new flagship (CX-IB) cards. So, relatively, the CX2 is now the CX equivalent - i.e. 3 generations old.

Before: CX < CX-2 < CX-3 (and later CX-3 Pro)

Now (w/IB): CX-2 < CX-3/CX-3 Pro < CX-IB

Similarly, as when the CX cards were dirt cheap, bumped off by newer cards, and slowly lost driver (newer features/improvements) support, it seems the CX-2 will go through the same cycle.

Apparently, from the current driver's release notes, Mellanox will not support CX2 cards with newer drivers (features/improvements?).

Quoted from release notes: "Features/Support to be Deprecated in the Next Release

The following support will be deprecated in the next release: • ConnectX®-2 adapter cards"

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Asked friend who has couple Connectx-2 cards in the prod and dev networks about SFP+ gbic support.
Answer simply is: He has not found a SFP+ gbic that would NOT work on mellanox cards.
Afaik he got quite wide variety of gbics, Finisar, Avago, Force10, HP, Cisco. Everything works.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Asked friend who has couple Connectx-2 cards in the prod and dev networks about SFP+ gbic support.
Answer simply is: He has not found a SFP+ gbic that would NOT work on mellanox cards.
Afaik he got quite wide variety of gbics, Finisar, Avago, Force10, HP, Cisco. Everything works.
Thanks for the extra info. This vendor lock in crap is very annoying.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
so you could potentially make a DIY switch out of these card if your board has enough slots...

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
so you could potentially make a DIY switch out of these card if your board has enough slots...
I would never do this. If you are going the switch route, you are better off with dual port adapters.

I would use these to connect the odd server to 10gig cheaply

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
ya I did not notice this is a single port...if dual port for about $100, it would be a good deal too

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
ya I did not notice this is a single port...if dual port for about $100, it would be a good deal too
I have picked up dual port connectx2 parts previously for under 50$. So should not be too hard to find

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Good chance I am wrong here but the ConnectX-2 VPI cards could not split to 4 breakout 10gbe SFP+ ports. I thought that was added in the FDR/ 40GbE generation.