Manually installing NSX 4.1 data center on a VSphere 8.0U2 ESXI host (homelab)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
Hi everyone,

I have a baremetal install of ESXi 8 and would like to use NSX 4.1 to create a multi-tenancy environment for un-nested VMs running directly on the baremetal host. Is this just a matter of installing the NSX Manager in a 3-way VM cluster and configuring the Gateways? In the back of my mind I suspect that NSX 4.1 will require a cluster of hosts rather than VMs but I hope this isn't the case. I'm not at all knowledgeable enough at this point to design the installation and the documentation assumes a data center full of hardware running many hosts. If NSX doesn't actually differentiate between virtual (nested) and baremetal components, including Gateways and VDSes on the host then it might be possible.

One of the VMs running within a tenancy "lab" will be a Cisco CML VM which I also want to plug into the NSX infrastructure. Other VMs will include Linux hosts running various container technologies (Incus, and RHEL K8s/Podman) using OVN-OVS on each Linux host.

If I add VXLAN it will be over OSPF instead of BGP, using unnumbered links. The goal of this multi-tenancy is to isolate the lab environments from a persistent homelab running Truenas, Unifi Controller and a couple of other services. The multi-tenancy environment will also use a Windows Server to provide Active Directory integration.

At this stage I don't want to run Holodeck or install an entire VCF data center. This needs to be done manually to understand all of the components. Thanks, Nick.

Last edited: