M.2 to SFP+/10gbe copper adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
So, I run my homelab on a bunch of HP Mini 800 G4s, and would like to add a SFP+ port for iSCSI traffic on esxi 7.x. The minis have an available m.2 port, which I have tested to run a 4x1gbe port using a m.2 to pcie breakout cable from aliexpress. This works, but sits outside of the case and not very clean (though a 3D printed bracket has been designed). Looking around, i've not found a m.2 to sfp+ or 10gbe copper port that can be installed cleanly inside the case in one of the expansion ports, which is why i'm here.

What good options, if any, are there to run a m.2 to SFP+ or 10gbe copper port?

abq

May 23, 2015
Nice find @ BlueFox. ...Marvell AQtion Ethernet Controller looks nice for 2280 size slot. But 'ouch' for price, $175 !
...here is link:

Last edited:

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
Nice find @ BlueFox. ...Marvell AQtion Ethernet Controller looks nice for 2280 size slot. But 'ouch' for price, $175 !
...here is link:
I have a concern about this adapter since it's 10Gb/s. The chipset used in pcie and mainboards AQC107 runs very hot even with a heatsync.
I don't see this board running cooler in an closed enviroment.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
Thanks @BlueFox . I saw that during my search but man is that expensive. At that price, I might as well buy a barebones m720q or m920q with the pci-e slot, and swap components.

Thanks everyone who helped search and find a solution.